Hinesy

Engine mounts

Evening all, ive been working away for two weeks and was iching to take the vr for a spin today. Anyway i went and picked the car up from my garage and started to head home, came to a roundabout with a straight bit of road after it changed from second to third and floored it and instead of the vr6 noise i was expecting i got a rather loud bang and a shock through the car. So i got the car home and looked under the bonnet and found the engine mount had completly snapped (the one to the rear right as you look at the bay. So what im asking in a long and drawn out way is what to replace them with? Can you still get genuine ones from the dealer? I would prefer genuine as the vt ones are rather expensive and i'm not sure i trust the ebay ones. Im going to replace all 3 while i'm at it. Lucky its only a weekend toy really. Any advise would be great and sorry for the essay, just thought a bit of a story would be better than just writing "what engine mounts should i buy" :cool:

You can still get them from the dealer, but theyre more expensive than VT mounts! Try TPS as a first port of call, alternatively AVS or even GSF or ECP but check to make sure its from a well know manufacturer.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into those. What what brands would be classed as well known?

Agree with seanl82 on possible suppliers: try to get Lemforder (as they are often the maker of the original part) though they are not so common, many go for Febi engine mounts as they are widely available and not expensive. Theres a huge variation in price and sometimes the best is found on Ebay, though that may not be for all the mounts.

Edited by bmwcompact

Cheers for that. I've made a decision though. Since I've waited 10yrs to buy one and I'm not planning on getting rid anytime soon I'm going to splash out and buy a full set of vt mounts. Just shopping around now for a decent price. Anyone know the spec of the gear box mount centre bolt? It that that's actually snapped so will need a new one.