jamiehamy

Idle damper pot thing exploded!

Went to start the car this morning and there was a bang, followed by smoke drifting from under the bonnet. Jumped out and saw it coming from the area where the idle damper pot thingy should be. It was lying in 4 bits under the car!

I think I have a spare, but any thoughts as to why this happened? The smell was strange - like coal smoke :z

If it ignited, what could have ignited it, and if so, what would be in it to ignite? If it was some sort of pressure, surely there wouldn't be smoke? Feeling rather confused!

I dn't have a carbon canister, although the pipe from the head back into the inlet is there.

This happened to mine, the blue foam comes out of the damper and gets stuck in the pipes causing a pressure build up I guess. Remove the isv and pipes, clean it all out, replace the damper and it will be fine.

Ah. That's a bit of a relief, will replace it and hope for the best. Thanks easypops, will bear it in mind, I replaced mine because of a hissing noise, but the 'new' one did it too. :z