Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Wobbly pulley

When i look down the left hand side of the engine bay, the lowest pulley out of all them down there is wobbling around. Im sure this isnt right. Anyone know what this one does and why it would wobble.... :?

When i look down the left hand side of the engine bay, the lowest pulley out of all them down there is wobbling around. Im sure this isnt right. Anyone know what this one does and why it would wobble.... :?

Sounds like the lug that holds on the pulley has come out or possibly the bolt has loosened? - the lowest pulley is attached to the cambelt so DO NOT start the car until this is fixed!

Are we talking in the same place? Its quite a big pulley (about 10 cm diameter) with quite a thin belt on, and has 4 allen key bolts holding it. These are all tight and i cant move the pulley myself. I wouldnt say it wobbling exactly - more just not spinning quite straight..... :? :(

Mine is the same julesz, Darren from PDM noticed it at the VW show at Malven. It shouldn't do this so if i were you i would remove it and check. I think, according to Darren there are several allen key bolts that secure the smaller pulley (the one with the power steering belt on) to the bigger one (the one with the charger belt going round). After removing the small pulley there is a bolt in the center (not sure what size) remove this and slide the pulley off. I think there is a woodruff key locating the pulley.

I might be wrong, if so can somebody correct me.

Where does the belt connect to? The P/S pump? Does your powersteeing belt squeal at all? If it's the pulley I'm thinking of then it sounds like the p/s pulley is worn. I think the pulley on my car is a bit buckled causing the belt to slip.

Must admit it doesnt look like an overly important pulley (i guess they all are, but compared to charger pulley etc i mean) and had quite a small belt on it. No PS squeeling but i do get a little squeal when starting on colder days. Its the lowest pulley and furthest back. You can see it to the back left side of the engine... I will have a better look at lunchtime..

It sounds to me like it is the front powersteering pulley on the crankshaft behind it is the thicker charger and alternator pulley right?? could just be that it isn't sitting quite flush or that it is buckled try replacing it with a new one they wont be all that dear I shouldn't imagine