P3rks

Why did the VR get widetrack / 5-stud

Just a curiosity question really; but why did VW decide to go 5-stud / widetrack for the VR6?

I always felt the narrowtrack 4-stud Corrado's turned in and responded better in the handling department.

More compliance to the handling to aid with the heavier engine. The 5 stud thing is to do with braking torque being sent back through the hubs. 5 bolts have a higher shear strength than 4 do, important when bigger wheels 'could' be fitted and you run bigger brakes.

I think there's a combination of reasons, it added more angle (caster?) to the suspension legs which provides better stability but a knock on is that it requires more steering force, not a problem for the PAS Corrado but the 4cyl setup was designed for use on the non-PAS mk2 golf. It also provided beefier wishbones, driveshafts, bearings, roll bars etc. the 4 cyl Corrado setup is essentially designed for a 110bhp 1.8 golf, so even with the over-engineering built in that could cope with the 160bhp G60, pushing 200bhp in the Corrado and mk3 golf was too much I guess, it must help to reduce torque steer too with more power. When you look at it it's very similar to the passat setup that was designed for that heavier car and released in 1988 well before the mk3 and VR6 Corrado.