Sign in to follow this  
Corrado-VR6

Newbie seeks advice

[On the RX8 subject; I think they're developing a bit of a cheesy image already, I've seen a few in Southampton driven by yuppy types and that was enough to put me off!

LOL!

Don't forget the RX8 is available as a company car choice because it's a family 4 door. The 350Z won't be on many company car lists!

I think the RX is OK if you like pretty cars, but I wouldn't buy one. My money would always go toward something more focused and dynamic. Sure looks are important but what it can do and how it makes you feel is more important. I think I'd feel a prick in an RX8 to be honest.

I think I'd feel a prick in an RX8 to be honest.

What ever floats your boat I suppose Kev! :lol:

My next car is definately gonna be a new Integra type R. They are lovely looking motors, and I'm really not a fan of rice machines.

Well, I think the RX8 is pretty and the 350Z is sexy, but having said that, the thing I love about the Corrado is that while it has a sleek shape, and I think it is a beautiful machine, it hides its true ability under a comparitively understated exterior.

I like to describe it to friends/family who are unfamiliar with the breed as a tiger in cat's clothing!

'.... (a lowly 16v) managed it!......'

huff! :roll: A lowly 16v indeed! :lol:

Regds, a valver!

Hi all, I also am a newbie round these parts and need a bit of advice.

I am looking into buying a 92 model 2.0 16v C ( I know I know but I need to save some pennies before I get a V6 )

Anyway, from what info I could source from the net, the chances are that its extremely likely to need some repairs. Now I am a dab hand at DIY car mechanics and am very willing to sort the probs out myself unless is a major job involving some big tools and lifting equipment that is, so I would like to know your opinions on home servicing on a corradoand is it approved of in the corrado community as I would like to be seen as an enthusiast and I really don't want to pay OTT service costs! :wink:

Cheers chaps :)

From what I have read, the 16v are pretty easy to work on, and most parts are relatively cheap, compared to the VR6 at least.

They should also be quite reliable on the whole, but I've not really had any experience of living with one, so can't really comment any further..

Yeah the 16v will go on forever, and so will the other flavours of C if well maintained and looked after. I think 100K is the milestone for all of them and it's a good idea, although not always essential, to rebuild the head at that mileage. It's always been 100K with VW heads! Some go on for longer but on average, 100K.

Well, i've had a valver for 5 years plus, and I reckon it's great to work on yourself. Working on your own C is very much NOT frowned on, throwing cash unnecesarily at the 'stealers' however IS. :D

quite a few of us on here have pretty much rebuilt our cars ourselves, so home servicing is definately not frowned upon! ;) :lol:

The 16V lump is a great engine, I've not got much experience with the 2.0 flavour, but the 1.8 is almost bomb proof and they're VERY similar! 8)

In my younger (and more stupid! :oops: ) days I once drove a 16V from Liverpool to Manchester with no coolant in it... It was fitted into my MKI Golf and the temp gauge had never worked properly, so I just ignored it :oops: Obviously it blew the headgasket in a pretty major way and warped the head somewhat... my mate skimmed it for me and took huge amounts off it, but it started first time when we got it back together and was still rock solid until the day I took it off the road... 8) Like I say, bombproof... 8)