krishen

Sticking clutch

Noticed over the last couple of days, when i release the clutch pedal that it doesn't come up "smoothly". Its only right at the bottom that it happens.

I've had it on other cars but they were clutch cable related.

Did a search on here and it sounds like the clutch slave/master cylinder.

Does this sound about right? And how can i check if this is the case?

I've had the clutch replaced about a year ago so don't think its that.

Thanks

Probably the slave cylinder seals failing. I would try swapping it out for a known good one, not too difficult a job.

Try bleeding the clutch and see if that sorts it. Worth a try. If its just started doing it and you haven't been changing fluid or replacing items connected to the clutch fluid then it's likely to be the post above...

I haven't changed anything recently so guess slave cylinder is the culprit.

So where is the slave cylinder located?

It's on top of the gearbox. You can trace the hydraulic lines down to it.

Rams' suggestion is good, though. It's worth trying a bleed first, even though I had the same symptoms and it did turn out to be the slave cylinder.

I've just gone to my car after a short 4 day break and the pedal is on the floor. Could anyone tell me if this is going to be the master or the slave cylinder? I've had a quick look round the pedal box and can't see any sign of fluid in the foot well or around the pedal box so I'm hoping it's going to be slave cylinder. If I'm right could anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace?

Just saw my previous comment, lol. My computer was playing up when I tried to reply to your post!

I had the same problem and changed the slave cylinder and bled the fluid through but the pedal hit the floor again after a few days. So I decided to strip down the clutch master cylinder and used a replacement seal from a B4 Passat, it's been working fine ever since.

So my thoughts are change the slave(£30 from gsf) if that doesn't work then it's definitely the master cylinder.

My master cylinder showed no signs of leaking, but when I stripped it down the internal seal was out of shape and allowing fluid to pass through the chamber. Hope that helps.

Thanks dumptyboy I tried to reply to your thread but it kept saying I was 2 characters short on my post and wouldn't post anything. I'll get the slave cylinder first know where there is a B4 passat so might go see if its got a decent master cylinder on it just incase slave doesn't work. Least if slave does work i'll have a spare master :thumbleft:

Just a thought are the thrust bearings in the vr6 concentric type slave cylinder, as the thrust bearing was noisey with the pedal pressed down when I brought the car?

Sorted :dance: It was my slave cylinder at fault, got the car up on ramps and fluid was dripping from the bell housing. New slave fitted clutch is fine now, luckily the fluid hasn't got onto the clutch plates too bad so no slipping