'Rado_TDI

Another TDI!

Hi all,

Thought I should sign up and have a nosey about after direction from a good friend.

Quite new to Corrados, but not other ropey old VWs.... not sure where my Rado journey is heading, already getting in too deep - It's meant to be a daily!

So...

Hello from Scotland! :cheers:

DSC_0092_zps87d3e3a4.jpg

Welcome along matey whereabout's in Scotland are you? What engine is in your car?

Welcome - if you're contemplating a TDi conversion then all I can say is do it - very worthwhile :-)

Awesome - I've completed just over 100k miles now in my PDTDI Corrado, still loves it and it pulls like a train!

Be good to hear what engine it is and see some pics of the install?

Welcome along matey whereabout's in Scotland are you? What engine is in your car?

I'm a bit all over the place.... Live in Edinburgh, work in Perth and my shed is in ..... Dumfries :D

Welcome - if you're contemplating a TDi conversion then all I can say is do it - very worthwhile :-)

It's done! ;)

Been going well so far (bar a little 109 mischief) - averaging 63mpg, which, although it ends my soul, is what this project is all about.... racking up miles cheap as possible! I have enough other sheds for more interesting things than mpg :p

Awesome - I've completed just over 100k miles now in my PDTDI Corrado, still loves it and it pulls like a train!

Be good to hear what engine it is and see some pics of the install?

It's not as fancy as a PD, its an AHU from a Polo TDI ('98). My good friend actually did the swap for me so I can't take any credit.

I'll get some pics up.

Last night I started to detail it..... the only way I know how

DSC_0124_zps7ea8ba45.jpg

I used to get some dogs in the back of my car ( back in my salad days ). But none of them moulted like that.

Is everything a straight swap on a conversion like this ?

Yep a combo of old vw rubbish bolted together to create something awesome :D

Hopefully if teh rains stops i'll be able to....."detail" the front seats and carpet tonight :)

....a combo of old vw rubbish bolted together to create something awesome :D

Haha, love this! Be interesting to see how you get on with this, having driven Supercharged's many moons ago I remember it being quite an odd sensation to have a Corrado with all the diesel traits but ultimately his works really well.

Good luck

Haha, love this! Be interesting to see how you get on with this, having driven Supercharged's many moons ago I remember it being quite an odd sensation to have a Corrado with all the diesel traits but ultimately his works really well.

Good luck

Apart from needing a leg like Hellboy's arm to operate the clutch!! :)

Well For the last 800 miles it has been fantastic! And I'm getting 63mph ish - which was ultimately the object of the exercise, as sad a day as it is.

Wee bit rattly perhaps..... but it is 19 year old brittle plastic, being shaken about by something agricultural

Need to address the cornering department - thought Corrados were meant to handle....? Bit hairy just now :o

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

P1260046_zpsd25082b0.jpg

P1260045_zps53eb55f6.jpg

Thought you might like to see my other equally non interesting ie derv) VW!

2 landmarks yesterday

DSC_0170_zpsceb954e2.jpg

and 1000 miles since the TDI swap

DSC_0175_zps0e1bd97c.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:00 AM ----------

Really need some less ride hight

Caddy look's good matey there is plenty you can do to help with the handling of a corrado I myself owned a G60 for a short period of time which was in need of some handling tlc it was pant's the one i have now has kw v1's powerflexed all round uprated arb's rear strut brace it is amazing proper little go-cart.I also have a front strut brace yet to fit.

Now paint that bonnet stay and get a plastic engine cover

think some tosser lost the engine cover.

fancy selling that yeller one? ;)

Caddy look's good matey there is plenty you can do to help with the handling of a corrado I myself owned a G60 for a short period of time which was in need of some handling tlc it was pant's the one i have now has kw v1's powerflexed all round uprated arb's rear strut brace it is amazing proper little go-cart.I also have a front strut brace yet to fit.

Thanks, I can't really justify doing too much to this motor (as stupid as it sounds as its the only remotely useful/practical car I own :bonk:) But I think a bit of mild tweaking is definitely on the cards!

Tidied up the back with new plates and a new badge ;)

DSC_0157_zpsf92fc8aa.jpg

Thinking about installing a little ICE, getting a bit bored on my commute :multi:

Added some wires and last night I made a false floor

DSC_0146_zps7ca1c564.jpg

Been a bit pony at updating this, so I thought I would lol

I 4x4'd it for a bit

DSC_0512_zps1cef724c.jpg

Then de 4x4'd it for a bit

P1260694_zps33ecf30c.jpg

P1260721_zps25e50d82.jpg

Then after the new spings and shocks, new track rod ends, wish bones ball joints etc

DSC_0551_zps309e2aac.jpg

Then a new loom for the headlights

DSC_0555_zps78cfa8d4.jpg

DSC_0558_zpsa7c1d073.jpg

Also fitted new Daybreakers and LED sidelights. The old sidelights were black!

but taking the risk of paying somebody else to do something - Net result, melted CV boot!!

P1260735_zps6a999d5e.jpg

So needed to do that

P1260748_zps613ce12b.jpg

added cruise control

P1260752_zpsc58a4677.jpg

and some alternative fuel supply

P1260731_zpsf907cb32.jpg

Then cruised about on veg for 15,000 miles

DSC_0218_zpsc6a98603.jpg