Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

I've got a lazy tappet

Hi guys wondering if youc an help, i have notices a tapping noise, seems to be coming from the top of the block, i am assuming is a lazy tappet. It increases with engine revs.

I taps even when warm, it seems to be one over the 4th cylinder, or that side of the engine.

I ahve checked the oils and its full now, It was on 3/4 and since topping it up it ahs been quieter, but you can still hear it.

Will driving it like it is ruin my engine, i am unable to do anything for a couple of days because i am again in london with no tools. I need to do about another 300 miles in it. WIll it ruin myu engine if i carry on.

Performance, fuel consumption and everything else are all normal, oil and water are fine.

The only thing i can think is the oil might be old, had it in there 8 months and done 8000 miles. Its mobil 1,

Any advice please

Beavisjem

New oil might stop it for a while. If the car has been idle this sometimes happens to them and it goes away usually with an oil change, but if not you'lll have to change it. I don't think they are expensive (a tenner each from GSF maybe??) but it is quite a big job to replace them as the camshaft has to come out, so unless you are doing it yourself you might as well replace them all at the same time as the labour required is pretty much the same for all 8 as it is for 1.

Not sure if it's the same for a G60 (which yours looks like) as a 16v , but you should be Okay to keep going for a bit, but get them replaced as soon as you can as not desirable. Would expect it to take quite a long time of use before any ill effects really began to show. Ran mine with a lazy tappet for a few weeks before I got the chance to change them. Pretty easy to do, on a 16v at least. It is technically possible to identify which is the lazy one, but I would (did) just replace them all at the same time, as they aren't majorly expensive, if one's gone the rest are probably near to going, and you wouldn't want to put it all back together and find you changed the wrong one!. Think they were about £8 each from GSF.

Just one thought though, isn't Mobil 1quite thin, which might be a contributory factor?

Were you the H reg that came past me this morning near Gibraltar Gardens, sounded like a tank (joking, joking!) If you need a local hand let me know.

Mobile One Oil is MUCH too thin for pretty much any VW engine except the newer turbo's , etc....

Change it for 10W 40 quantum and see how you get on.

Driving will be fine.

Scott

just use some quantum synta silver which you can get from vag or gsf,

:D

also you shouldnt really be doing as much as 8000 miles between oil changes on a g60,,, :?

hope that sorts it for ya :)

Yeah, I change the oil every 3k, used to do 5k on my golfs but the corrado runs hotter...

Every 3k, now that's dedication! 8) Mind spose you get it cheap with 30 bottles of windscreen washer fluid, a haaaa! :D

Every 3k, now that's dedication! Mind spose you get it cheap with 30 bottles of windscreen washer fluid, a haaaa!

:lol: :wink: