_Meth

Suspension / Top Mount query

Right, I have a '90 1.8 16v rado.

Its running hottuning coilovers which to be fair are pretty damn good for the money they cost me, however - I have an annoying issue regarding the top mounts that is frustrating me a lot and causing un-necessary wear to other suspension components. The story goes like this:

Installed them 3 odd years ago, all was fine. I recently had to replace the top mounts because mine were shot. After some advice from a very handy guy on here I went for VR6 topmounts with the seperate bearings, this was apparently the way to go, as coilovers have their own plate on top of the spring and the 16v ones have a built in metal plate at the bottom which would mean metal on metal and extend the topmount too, which made perfect sense.

So, after doing all of this they went on fine and looked / felt the business. However, after only a week I noticed an odd noise from the front when going over small bumps etc, turns out it is because the top of the shock (top mount into turret) is allowing movement when the wheel is in the air / weight is off the car.

Took a look under the bonnet and made sure I had fitted everything right, and all appears good. There is just no bolts / mounts for the top of the shock in the engine bay side of the turret - so when the weight is off it, the shock drops back down through the turret a cm or 2- allowing it to move about a bit.

MOT station put it on my MOT as an advisory, and I cannot see any way of the shock not dropping through when the weight is off it - like its designed that way... surely not?

Anyway, can someone tell me - am I being a complete idiot and missing something?

Regardless what top mounts I've fitted with my fk coilovers there's always been some small movement. With the vr6 mounts I've got at the moment they are much better than others I've tried. Did you get genuine parts or gsf/ecp cheapies?

I know when i jack mine up the very top plate part in the engine bay side sits down on top of the turret, but when on the wheels it stick up about 1cm or so.

I know when i jack mine up the very top plate part in the engine bay side sits down on top of the turret, but when on the wheels it stick up about 1cm or so.

Which is correct. The weight of the car is what keeps the top mounts in place and the top plate keeps the strut in place when the car is jacked up.

As for the OP. did you tighten the top nut enough and with the car on the floor? The strut will drop a little with the car off the floor, but wouldnt imagine itd be enough to cause much, if any movement. Saying that, when the car is back on the ground the top mount should seat correctly in the turret anyway.

Which top mounts are people using on a VR6? Is it the standard VR one listed as 357412331A, or are there other options? Have a feeling mine need doing soon.

Which top mounts are people using on a VR6? Is it the standard VR one listed as 357412331A, or are there other options? Have a feeling mine need doing soon.

There's the powerflex option, never fitted these myself though so cant really comment on any comparison to the standard ones.

All tight at the top and fitted correctly etc - just doesnt seem right. I swapped for the VR6 mounts because they didnt have the metal plate built into them, and the bearings are seperate - all genuine parts i will add. Its how its meant to be I think, I just dont like it. lol

When you say the coilovers have their own plate in the top of the spring, do you mean something in addition to the top spring plate? I think a pic of the top of the coilover will help.

On a standard setup, the early top mounts (with the metal plate and integrated bearing) still go onto the top of the spring plate on the strut. Later VR top mounts don't have the built in plate, but the later top spring plate is a different shape. I know some people mix and match early spring plates with late top mounts, and vice versa but personally I've had no end of problems (crushed bearings/uneven height from L to R/creaking) until I matched the early plate on that fits my H&R springs to the early top mounts. I'd say whatever shape the top of your coilover is designed to fit, they are the top mounts you should use.

Coilovers have their own top plate which sits on top of the springs. The rubber top mount goes ontop of that then inside the engine bay theres the usual top plate.