Smiithy

ABF mk3 into 9a raddo, engine and other related questions.

Right, so to cut a long story short, Ive had 2 metering heads on my C now and they both have sprung leaks from the bottom, i don't want to spend the 800 plus vat on a new one and I'm sick of fitting second hand ones that are obviously nearly dead anyway. Edit - Plus I'm sick of the KE-jetronic system, don't want to spend big bucks on stand alone management so using the ABF and motronic seems the way forwards.

So the plan is to buy a full car, mk3 2.0 16v abf.

So the engines swap in fairly easy i have managed to locate this information but have been left with a few other questions that i cannot find definitive answers for.

The gearbox on my 9a feels like 1/2nd are becoming abit weak, the odd 2nd gear crunch at high rpms, so can i take the full abf engine and box and drop it straight in?

Next question, not engine related but related to this. The gti mk3 will come with bigger brakes and a 5 x 100 setup, can i simply use the whole rear beam and swap that in? then just use the front hubs, calipers, carriers? or can i use the whole sub-frame from the mk3?

Is there any other bits from the mk3 gti I could use to improve my C?

All advice and help would be great, links to threads etc, i spend 3 hours searching last night to not find the exact awnsers i want. As I said, pretty happy with the conversion part, just the box and 5 stud I'm struggling to find the info on.

Thanks!

Edited by Smiithy

There will be wiring issues to serve the engine management/fuel injection system, but it should be something someone can help you with (not me..). The ABF block is taller than the 9A by 15mm. so you may need to modify your bonnet to suit

By the way if you want a gearbox with low 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, I have one from an ABF engined B4 Passat cluttering the garage. Code CTM I seem to remember.

I don't think you need to swap the beam, simply swap the 5 stud rear discs onto the stub axles. The front will be a bit more complicated because the hub/disc/caliper carrier/ drive shaft will have to be swapped. I don't know the complexities of wide/narrow track subframes, but the 288mm 5 stud setup is so-called Plus suspension more common on VR6 cars.

Best wishes

RB