robrado974

Strange whine from the fuel pump ???

I have a strange whinening noise coming from around the tank area . Its loudest when you get your ear next to the rear wheel arch . Im experiencing problems with starting atm , once its started its fine but from cold it can be hard work to start . I think its the fuel pump that has gone , as its spluttering when its trying to fire . I have removed the offending fuel saver which is years old and fitted a new fuel line tonight , i thought it may be blocked and giving me grief .But still struggling to start from cold . Do fuel pumps whine when on the way out ?. Its not the central locking pump as i know the noise that makes when it over runs . Any advice will be appreciated as always .

Rob .

As the pump ages the seal becomes less effective causing the pump to attempt to prime for longer.

A simple way to test is to switch the ignition off and on a few times before attempting to start from cold.

If it fires straight away after priming 2/3 or maybe more times I would suggest the pump is on its way out

I had a fuel pump fail on a mk2 scirocco and it was whining before it failed.

On my old mk2 golf the pump whined for about a month before it failed, with the whining getting louder, it eventually failed in an area where you would not want to break down!

Thanks for replys , i have tried priming two or three times Owen , it worked a few times but its getting harder to start , so yeah it looks like its the pump ,thanks Hatton and portent it confirms what i thought . Funny thing is it changes the pitch of the whine when the lights are turned on ?

Rob

Mine started whining like mad a few years ago, i didn't replace it, the noise went away and has been fine for another 20,000miles.

I get the occasional hot start problem, but that seemed to be linked to the 109 relay.

Mine has whined very loudly ever since I've had it... that's like 3 years and about 30,000 miles ago. And it's still fine!

Not to bothered about the whine , but I clearly think I'm getting very little fuel to the rails , will pressure test first though .

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

I had a loud whine in the car, it stopped when the wife got out.

Lol wullie !