beastie4126

Odd Front end noise 2nd opinions please

Seeing as I am planning to go to Castle Coombe next week for the 25th Anniversary the Rado has decided now would be the best time to throw a hissy fit and develop an odd front end whine which sounds like it coming from the drivers side. Now to me it sounds like a wheel bearing especially as the noise increases with speed and sounds the same coasting in neutral.

The question is should I expect play on the wheel as there isn't any and what else could it be if it's not a bearing?

Oh and I only have Sunday to get under the car and get it sorted - no pressure :(

my cheap tyres on rear made it sound like bearings had gone,new avon tyres and sound gone

Not cheap tyres fitted and they are all matching but a front to rear switch might be worth a punt - good call

I don't think you'll feel play in a front bearing, but they can make a hell of a noise even when there's hardly any pitting on the bearing surfaces. At least swapping wheels around will rule out a tyre, but I've found that it's usually rears where tyre noise sounds like a bearing going.

As above; wheel bearing. Or even possibly a sticking caliper?

Does it get noisier when going round a curve one way and less noisy when going round the other way? If so, definitely a wheel bearing. It will survive for a long time from when the noise first becomes apparent, I would leave it until after your trip unless you are contemplating some track day heroics.

You will need a press to get the bearing out of/in to the hub. Bashing the new one in will wreck it. Probably a 2 hour job if all goes well and you have the right equipment. You might upset the camber setting a fraction because of taking off the hub carrier from the strut.

Good luck

RB

Too noisy to leave and I dont want it failing on a 200 mile trip, thats assuming it is the bearing. Done them before on various Golfs so a new hub and bearing has been bought with the intention of starting saturday morning and finishing sunday if I have to. Luckily i have access to tools for pressing bearings and doing wheel alignments. Fingers crossed I will be the on saturday next week :)

Sounds like you know what you are doing.RB

Dunno About that :) but the bearing has been switched and the noise seems to have gone but as I didn't get to complete a proper test drive I will have to do it tomorrow just to make sure.

Well at least you will know who it is waving now I suppose.

Thought my bearing had gone last week, it was just the wheel balancing weights had fallen off and got wedged between heat shield and brake disk lol

Well I have been out for a proper 10 mile test drive this morning and the noise has gone so that's good news. Whilst looking for the "odd noise" location I also located a very slight blow from the exhaust to cat join which I have also sorted - must be Pimms O'clock by now :)