Jim

Corrado MOT Fail - excessive play in steering column... PASSED

Help :(

My Corrado, having sailed through all MOT's with no problems over the last few years this failed on a number plate lighbulb (sigh) and excessive play in the steering column. Having owned several Corrado's, I've never found it to be any worse than any other Corrado i've owned so I think this is the garage just trying to find something wrong. Has anyone's Corrado ever failed on this, and if so, what was the fix?

Going to pick up the car later on and going to have a damn good look at it myself before probably getting it retested somewhere else as I'm just not convinced there's anything "dangerously" wrong.

hmm.. i've always found them to have a bit of up and down movement. It's a very subjective thing though, but not one i'd expect a garage to come up with just to fail you - it's not an obvious job for them to get you to just agree to pay for like discs/pads or something would be.

now that its on a failure sheet another garage will have information that it's failed based on it, so i would go in and ask them for an opinion of it before paying out for another mot. if they're happy, then pay for the test.

there will be suggestions of replacing with a fixed column, which seems popular on here, but i love having height adjustment so it wouldnt be an option for me!

I ran my previous Corrado with the fixed height column and liked it - it was the perfect height for me and felt really direct. But not all the parts are available I don't think which makes doing that swap not an option :(

So it was lateral play rather than rotational play, or didn't they say?

If you check your column and the rolled pin hasn't fallen out and it's all working as it should, go back to them and say it's by design.

It's the same with the rear wheel bearings. Many Corrados fail on that simply because the testers don't understand taper bearings.

They didn't elaborate mate - I tried to push the steering wheel in and out and that was fine, but pulling it left / right / up / down there's a little movement.. like a few mm tops. Going to take the dash cowling and wheel off over the weekend and have a look see if I can do anything / tighten anything / reinforce anything to get through the retest!

And cheers Dave - will take a look at that properly later!

*edit*

Re-reading it that looks really good so I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Edited by Jim

Yeah do that to fix it in place but Corrado ajustable columns have never been super tight like modern cars. A bit of lateral play isn't life threatening but rotational play (such as worn UJ, worn rack, worn tie rods, worn front wheel bearings) is definitely dangerous and a fail.

Rotational play isn't that bad at all.. in fact it's surprisingly slack-free given the mileage it's on now... certainly nowhere near as bad as my last Corrado and that always passed MOT's.

I did the bolt through mod last year Jim ( after a similar conversation with Jay Renshaw at Tatton Park) and it helped a lot. I then tightened the rack adjustment bolt an 10th of a turn and sure as damn it the steering feel of the car is worlds apart from what it was eighteen months ago.

I even considered selling it, it was frustrating me that much.

After a laser alignment treatment and a whole new front end, we are in love again. It's like we renewed our vows all over again.

Out of curiosity though. Is there a fail rate/measurement ? Or is it down to the tester ? The reason I ask is that if the tester is really going for it then the wheel will flex. Nothing to with wear.

Edited by James.

Hi Jim,

Had an old mini fail on excessive play between the column and the column tube back in 1984, it was justified the bushes that held the column in place were worn if you have a copy of Bentley I had to replace the equivalent of the support ring in 48.2. Having said that I have never had any steering column issues with the 8 VWs & Audis that Mrs VR6 and I have owned. If you are convinced that there is nothing wrong it may be worth taking it to Vastec in Warwick and explain the situation. Ask Paul who owns the business if there is an issue and if it would fail an MOT before putting it in for MOT. I have done this with our cars before putting it in for MOT. Paul is very helpful has not charged if he has just checked error codes and put warning lights out and always done a good job. Paul used to work for Listers before starting Vastec 2 years ago. Let me know if you decide to go down there. I would be happy to go down there on Saturday morning or later on on Friday afternoon with you. When does the old MOT expire? I am not sure on what the law states if a car fails an MOT before old one expires. Bentley says that the adjustable height column can not be disassembled, so that may mean a new column.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Just noticed that there is a bearing at the bottom of the column, again in 48.2 of Bentley, that could also be an MOT fail if seriously worn.

Hi Jim,

Had an old mini fail on excessive play between the column and the column tube back in 1984, it was justified the bushes that held the column in place were worn if you have a copy of Bentley I had to replace the equivalent of the support ring in 48.2. Having said that I have never had any steering column issues with the 8 VWs & Audis that Mrs VR6 and I have owned. If you are convinced that there is nothing wrong it may be worth taking it to Vastec in Warwick and explain the situation. Ask Paul who owns the business if there is an issue and if it would fail an MOT before putting it in for MOT. I have done this with our cars before putting it in for MOT. Paul is very helpful has not charged if he has just checked error codes and put warning lights out and always done a good job. Paul used to work for Listers before starting Vastec 2 years ago. Let me know if you decide to go down there. I would be happy to go down there on Saturday morning or later on on Friday afternoon with you. When does the old MOT expire? I am not sure on what the law states if a car fails an MOT before old one expires. Bentley says that the adjustable height column can not be disassembled, so that may mean a new column.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Just noticed that there is a bearing at the bottom of the column, again in 48.2 of Bentley, that could also be an MOT fail if seriously worn.

Hello mate - thanks for the info! I'm going to have a good look at things this weekend and attempt the modification posted above. As it's reversible I'm not greatly concerned and know I can put my car back to how it was if I run into problems. If I do end up not getting anywhere and they still fail the MOT, I'll be taking the car elsewhere so will chat to you about Vastec then if it comes to it! :)

Hi,

Looks like it should be fairly straight forward. The only thing I have normally found with steering columns is the shear bolts, usually a pair of mole grips does the job. Have you got some replacements so you can tighten them to the correct torque? Bentley shows some on the diagram + a lock washer for the steering wheel that they recommend you replace. It looks a very similar setup to the Mini steering column. I trust you have a copy of Bentley.

Just come across this mob, may be useful in future http://sanburn.co.uk/index.html vw breakers in Coventry not contacted them but will save for later use.

Have you got the Passat 88 - 91 Haynes guide? Gives a guide to remove the steering column, drawings look very similar to those in the Bentley book.

Edited by Hatton VR6
Extra info added

I've no intention of removing the column at this point in time mate :) Going to attempt the repair job on the previous page to eliminate the height adjuster (at least to get me through the MOT).

So far so good... had the steering wheel, cowling, and dash undertrays off in no time. Popped the spring out from the mechanism using a pair of pliers (and it dumped a load of grease on my jeans in the process.. awesome) but then when I set about drilling the dome, it turns out the drill I just bought needs a full charge as it gave up and went flat after about 10 seconds of drilling - doh! I'll be resuming a bit later on :)

The slack / play does seem to be in the top half of the column so I think this is going to help without a doubt once it's all secured and tightened up!

Edited by Jim

Good work Jim. Gonna attempt this myself at some stage. Apparently makes a big difference. Andy.prodigalson was very impressed and his car passed it's MOT again this year with flying colours :)

Ok - all done. Hoping it's enough to get me through the MOT now. It does feel tighter now but I couldn't hand on heart say it was MILES better though there's definitely an improvement. Not particularly time consuming to do though and has been said easily reversible and fairly safe (in so much as all you're eliminating is the height adjust mechanism damping spring - if the bolts come lose, nothing is going to be dangerous as the height adjuster would still be locked in place).

Also replaced number plate light bulbs (my other MOT failure) - both working now! I'll be ringing them on Monday to arrange my retest.

Edited by Jim

Pleased to report that my retest this morning took all of 1 minute whilst the MOT inspector reached into the car and had a swing off the steering column and exclaimed "That's a hell of a lot better!" - so that's that sorted for another year :)

Thanks for the pointer to the DIY guide, Dave.

The car rewarded me by letting a load of water into the cabin from somewhere this morning, with all the rain we've had - opened the door to find it smelling decidedly swampy, and the passenger front carpet feeling decidedly damp! Gotta love Corrado's!

It's like they know when you're having thoughts about letting them go!

Pleased to report that my retest this morning took all of 1 minute whilst the MOT inspector reached into the car and had a swing off the steering column and exclaimed "That's a hell of a lot better!" - so that's that sorted for another year :)

Thanks for the pointer to the DIY guide, Dave.

Pleasure matey, glad it's all sorted, well apart from your moist bits.