vr-man

Advice needed on pulling out the Break Pedal Position Sensor

My ABS warning light has been playing up for years. Only luck has caused the light to behave itself during an MOT.

I'm pretty sure its a dodgy Brake Pedal Position Sensor and with another MOT imminent I've decided to try the re-soldering repair approach.

I have managed to remove the large circlip using a little hook tool and some prodding but now cannot pull out the sensor.

Does anyone know if there will still be a vacuum in the servo. If there will be I guess I will need to find a way to release the vacuum before I have any chance of pulling out the sensor.

or maybe its just a tight seal in which case I will clear the air intake pipes out of the way and pull a whole lot harder.

cheers

Pump the pedal until it goes hard, that will remove any vacuum pressure that is there. That switch has been there for possibly 20 years, it's going to be happy where it is!

Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I pumped the brake for a while and then the sensor then came out of the servo no trouble at all. (There is a chance the vacuum disappeared overnight but I'm happy to think it was the pumping of the brake that did it).

A resistance check showed contacts to be open circuit no matter what position the slider was in. ( incedently, for general info - the end cap on the slider probe is blue, (my car is a 95 VR6)).

Have now removed the old silicone and prised the cap off. The soldered terminals inside had completely dried out.

Just need to re-solder, re-assemble with new silicone sealant, pop it back in the servo and then I can sail through the MOT :)

My ABS warning light has been playing up for years. Only luck has caused the light to behave itself during an MOT.

I'm pretty sure its a dodgy Brake Pedal Position Sensor and with another MOT imminent I've decided to try the re-soldering repair approach.

I have managed to remove the large circlip using a little hook tool and some prodding but now cannot pull out the sensor.

Does anyone know if there will still be a vacuum in the servo. If there will be I guess I will need to find a way to release the vacuum before I have any chance of pulling out the sensor.

or maybe its just a tight seal in which case I will clear the air intake pipes out of the way and pull a whole lot harder.

cheers

Was your coming up with brake pedal sensor problem on the vagcom? Also the repair is the the job that d and g are pricing £50 to do?

At least take the c clip off thats around it

Doesnt look like it comes off, just text me the answer bro

Edited by VR6 Lee

I removed all the bmc and the top pipes so i could get good access to the master cylinder. Get a mirror and a small screw driver and remove the c clip from underneath... This is why you need the mirror. I pumped the brake pedal a few times to get rid of any vacuum. After this the brake pedal sensor should come straight out.

Just had mine fixed by Vince at Stealth for £59.50. :))