lard44

Fitting Apex lowering springs on standard shocks - spring seat query...

Hi all,

Ordered some Apex lowering springs a looooong time ago for my '95 Corrado, finally got around to fitting them BUT the new springs are significantly wider at the top than the old standard springs - as a result the top spring seat could almost slip through the top of the spring itself. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence. The fact is that the springs are hardly even under tension when the strut's out...although it should only be a 40mm drop.

Them the springs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEX-Lowering-Springs-VW-Corrado-VR6-91-95-/170717226273?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bf8a2521

I've double-checked the part numbers - they're the right springs apparently.

Anyone else had any experience of these? I'm not sure if I want to refit it as is if I can't be sure the spring's not going to unseat itself and pop through the top mount!

VR6 I assume? They had 2 different size top caps depending on year. I think 94 onwards got the larger top cap, which is what you need to order from VW or scour off ebay!

Hmmm...mine's on an 'M' plate but definitely hasn't got big enough caps...any idea how big 'bigger' is so I can measure what I've got...fnarr fnarr...