delfinis38

Brake lines

Doing a bit of a brake overhaul on the rear. Flexi on the axle pivot on the passenger side is proving to be a bit of a pain. Orig 17 year old pipe. The pipe is seized into the flexi on the brake pressure reg end and I,ve rounder the nut off.

Easiest thing to do now is remove the pipe and flexi as a whole from the brake reg end and replace the pipe.

It,s only a short run from the flexi to the brake comp. so need to get something made up. Any idea what's best never done it before. I know supercharged used to make pipe up. But I,m thinking either buy the gear to to it myself, see if my local factors will make me a pipe or find a local garage. I assume you can't buy ready bent pipe from vw ?

And what sort of grade pipe do I need.

Edited by delfinis38

Dont think they are available from the Dealer anymore, but have a look in the suppliers forum,theres someone down in deapest darkest Cornall iirc who makes the hard lines to original spec for a good price. The flexi pipes are still readily available so you should have no bother sourcing that bud.

I did mine with copper and new flexys, was an absolute pig of a job but its easy enough to flair and bend the copper,you pretty much just have to cut the pipes going to the bias valve flush with the fittings and then push the pipes out the way, this allows you to use a socket on the fittings rather then a brake pipe spanner, slide new fitting on the 2 pipes from the engine bay and flair them,

DSCF0245_zps33478d56.jpg

DSCF0247_zps950f338c.jpg

DSCF0251_zpsff740372.jpg

I'm doing exactly the same thing on mine at the moment except I'm using cupro nickel. It's just as resistant to corrosion as the stock steel stuff but just as easy to work with as copper. I personally find copper to not last more than a few years without starting to corrode badly. You can of course paint copper if you wanted to reduce the corrosion. A reel of the cupro nickel stuff costs 22 to 25 quid online.