Harrier

Sunroof advice

I,m sure this has been covered a hundred times before but my sunroof has become very slow in slide operation to the point i had to help it close manually at the weekend.Is it likely to need new parts or clean up & lube ? Suppose i've been lucky that it's the first problem with it in 12 years !!! though i try not to use it too much,

cheers ,Daren

Mine was getting slow and jerky - it could slide back in one or two hits, but only moved an inch or so for each button press when moving back to the closed position. Tilt worked fine at all times.

When the tilt jammed as well I took it apart - turned out one of the two mounting screws for the motor had come adrift and the motor had slipped slightly out of place; refitting it correctly made is a bit better, but swapping the motor for a good spare made a huge difference and now it slides fine in both directions :)

So try replacing the motor first, second-hand ones aren't expensive and you may be surprised! Simple to do - remove the trim, then make sure the roof is fully closed and wind it in on the allen key if necessary (check from outside - if you get this wrong it's annoying and you have to do it again - ask me how I know!). Then simply connect the new motor to the old motor's harness and operate the close button until the motor stops moving before installing it in place of the old one - this times it up correctly between the motor's internal switches and the roof mech.

Stone

The only problem is that second hand ones are pot luck as there's no guarantee that it'll be better than the one you have! I have three motors at home, only one of which is strong enough to operate the sunroof.

Dirt in the cables can cause the roof to slow down over time as well. Take the roof apart and strip the cables clean (they are probably covered in some furry grease-dirt style stuff) - this should improve things too. It's not difficult but just a little fiddly and time consuming.

there is a post on this forum about silicone grease designed for sunroof mechanisms. apparently the silicone stuff does not collect the dirt & bits & clog up.

IIRC kevin bacon had a sunroof which would not slide but once he had cleaned & greased with the correct stuff it worked fine.

i purchased some & received it a couple of weeks ago but havent had time to clean & apply this new stuff yet

found the post.......try this http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=81534&highlight=sunroof+grease

hope it helps or comes in useful :)