VR6Pete

Stainless Steel OE look exhaust.. Anyone interested?

Right guys, here's the crack, most standard exhausts are falling apart.

Not many good after market alternative... Apart from Dub Power, but doesn't have that OE look as the angles are out!

Well, I've been talking to Peter from Dub Power, he now has in his hands a standard exhaust, and plans to modify the existing design.

Here is the current dub power design side by side.

yge9u3ah.jpg

vu5y2yte.jpg

ehu6yged.jpg

budy5ynu.jpg

vequ4aqe.jpg

9aqa6uge.jpg

Would anyone else be interested it these were mass manufactured to be more OEM looking?

Just trying to gauge interest here...

Edited by VR6Pete

ta6e7uju.jpg

u6ujuba5.jpg

Peter is planning on I to have a go at re-profiling the tail pipe tip this week and see how it looks.

I would definitely be interested in a Dub Power Exhaust if it can be made to look more OEM. Also would like it to sound more like a Jetex/Magnex, so very interested in people's opinion/experience on how they sound?

ajyre4av.jpg

Here I'd how their current system looks.

The quality and fitment is superb, however I can't comment on, however I'm sure others will.

Sound preferences will always get different opinions. So this will simply sound like a dub power exhaust but have the look of an OE.

So is this just for the backbox? Not sure if they sell separately or just as a full system. If they offer the backbox on its own, I think it'll sell well. The majority of people now already have a SS exhaust system as originals have been rotting out for many years. If they offered the backbox separately I'd be very interested indeed. Dubpower are very reasonably priced - much better than the vast majority, and as long as quality and prices stay in line with their current price structures (no reason to believe otherwise), I think a separate backbox would be a very good seller.

Edit; sorry was typing as you put the last post up, so its for the full system. Could you ask whether they'd be interested in offering the backbox on its own?

It's for full system only, not sure how just a back-box could work, as there are many makes and presumably with different fitments, unless anyone has successfully (for example) fitted a Miltek backbox onto a Jetex system without any cutting and faffing about, I'd have personally a thought the Dub Power back-box has been specifically designed to be used with the rest of their system.

In order to keep this a reasonably prices system, we are just looking at re-profiling the tailpipe to give it the OE look, hopefully the tailpipe wont be "rolled" either like shown in the picture.

I don't think that any company would be interested in that because you compromise the quality of a good product and add the risk of running into fitment issues, something which Dub Power pride them selves on doing.

I can ask though.

Here is the product page: http://dubpower.co.uk/Exhaust%20systems.HTM

Edited by VR6Pete

I'd only be interested in the back box by itself, I won't need the other parts, obviously if dubpower are only supplying the back box I wouldn't be going to them over fitment problems with the rest of the exhaust as I wouldn't expect it to fit without work :)

I'd be interested if funds allowed, especially if the tip wasn't rolled.

Are these purely for VR's?

To my knowledge they are all the same?

Progress...

ujy5ypus.jpg

Developed things a little more today. The rear box on the far right is our

standard part but with the rolled edge removed and the slash cut increased

to match the OE box. The effect seems to be to make the tip look larger. It

would be interesting to see it on a car as it could still look quite

aggressive but it's not the solution for getting closer or to an OE

resemblance.

I then knocked up a tip using some 76mm tube (slightly smaller than the OE

81mm as I did't have any 81mm) and ovalised that in the press, then slash

cut to match OE. When positioned relative to a std. box everything begins to

look the part.

Whilst this all might look like good progress it's purpose is really to help

me understand what's what. The process to go to jig, mock up proto, trial

fit etc is easier in theory than in practice simple due to my time

constraints etc.

I am committed to sort something out without firm orders etc as this takes

me back to my roots, but it will need to run to my timetable.

That looks spot on. I actually think it would look better with the tip coming straight out of the bumper and not angled but that does get away from OEM look.

Looks great. Will be speaking to Peter shortly.

Will post up anything worth mentioning from our conversation later.

Had a good chat with Peter about the plans this.

A separate back box is a possibility but may take longer to produce.

Hopefully will be having a trial fitment in October / November before they go into production.

He's happy to continue this with no firm orders, however they will be to his time-scales, he's a very busy man but wants to do this to preserve the heritage of the Corrado.

Thanks for your efforts in running with this Pete, and big thanks go to the other Peter for his efforts and time manufacturing this. I'd be very interested if a separate backbox was available. Like I said in earlier posts, most owners have passed the stage of wanting upswept letterbox style backboxes, or big cherry bombs nowadays! (Cant say I was EVER interested in either), and therefore as we are all of a slightly more "mature" nature, originality seems to be the thing most want. As a lot of the old standard exhaust systems have already been replaced with S/S items, a backbox replacement would be more desirable than having to fork out for an entire system, so imo would sell very well indeed. :thumbleft:

as I have already indicated I am very keen on an OEM style Dubpower system when it has been fully engineered. I currently have a Jetex system on my Storm VR, would be looking to switch the Jetex onto the other VR (which currently wears a rotten original) and have a Dubpower fitted to the Storm VR!? I would be interested in a price for this work when the finished article is released

What may be useful is for people to upload photos of backbones and the section is joins on too from the top and rear so can see how they looked compared to dub sport one.

Cheers.

What may be useful is for people to upload photos of backbones and the section is joins on too from the top and rear so can see how they looked compared to dub sport one.

Cheers.

I don't think it will really help, he isn't going to be able to make a 'one size fits all' backbox. I'd be happy enough to purchase the box how it is now with just the revised oem style tip :)

Anymore progress?

Peter has been out of the country for the last month so no real progress, but hoping get a trail fitting done in November ! Will keep this updated with progress.