Baz1 vr6

1 st gear help

hi need help with a problem with selecting first gear some times it goes in then its very hard to get it in could anyone shed some light on this please

What engine mate? And when does it happen? If its when your coasting to a standstill, then its pretty normal. The syncros on all VWs of this era are very weak. You just need to get used to it and adapt your driving style. If it happens when the engine is cold, try a gear oil change but bear in mind the cars are all pretty old now and the cars have been ragged a little.

vr6 no its when I have stopped then try to put it into first and its hard to get in I will change the gear oil and see how its is after that cheers for the help

Haha, just realised when I saw your username. :bonk: Is every other gear easily selectable? Gear selector mech may need slight adjustment. Theres a guide in the wiki section, or do a search for the stick end as many have had this problem mate.

Possibles are -

Circlip broken on the end of the pivot shaft, lift the gaiter surround up.

Rubber bush on the end of the cable at the bottom of the actual gear stick has fallen apart.

Bush at the gearbox end of the cable fallen apart.

Adjuster(s) come loose at the gearbox end of the cables.

Hope this helps.