Fanjita

Front Passenger wheel area noise

Hoping I can pick some knowledgable brains here.

I was determined I knew the problem, but now after reading some posts I'm not so sure.

Started after I had the passenger outer CV joint as a scuffing sound. I have had a brake shield rub on the disc before, and at the time it sounded similar to that, so I dismissed it. Made numerous attempts to bend the brake shield to no avail, last weekend I had to take the brakes off to fix an ABS problem, so I had a look at the shield again. It was pretty shagged and hanging loose on one side, so I took the entire thing off.

Thought this would fix it, but alas it hasn't. I've had the brakes apart numerous times now, pads look fine and the caliper itself isn't stuck. The car most importantly doesn't pull, nor is any disc hotter than the other. I therefore dismissed a binding brake.

The noise has got progressively worse, but most importantly isn't a groaning/rumbling noise (which I've led to believe is a textbook wheel bearing sound). The noise doesn't go away when I brake, but it quietens sometimes completely when accelerating (loudest when slowing down). The noise can be really bad, echoing off walls its like a scuffing squealing sound. Sometimes it disappears altogether when the car is warm, but is most noticable cold. At higher speeds there is no shake, no rumbling, no pulling. I am starting to be able to hear it with the window down over the wind noise now at speed it's getting that bad.

I had my mind set on a poorly tightened hub nut killing my wheel bearing early, but the noise just doesn't tie in with the symptoms of a bad bearing.

Any ideas guys? I think I'll get a video made to help the diagnosis, but I'm really confused by this! I was just going to replace the wheelbearing myself, but I'm having doubts now...

Edited by Fanjita

I had a similar experience after fitting new discs and pads on the rear. Scuffing sound when braking, but nothing when off the brakes. Turned out it was a brand new warped disc. It was quite obvious when I found it, the friction disc where it joins the hub right in the corner had split over about half the disc. If you put your head as flat against the wheel arch and rotate the disc, use a point of reference and see if its obviously warped.

I had a wheel bearing go a few weeks ago - that was worse on coasting than on acceleration, and didn't sound like a classic wheel bearing failure - more of a groan with a squeak!!

Hope you find the problem.