shaunje

Mega oil leak 1.8 16V KR

Hi all,

My Corrado KR is throwing oil out bad!

It seems to be dropping on the floor under the oil filter area.

Has anyone had this trouble and what solved it?

The oil filter is on tight, 0-ring is in place etc...

It's chucking so much out I cant really drive it (used about 3L of oil in the last fortnight)

Cheers!

There are two sensors on top of the filter housing. They are known for breaking down and leaking oil from around the electrical connectors. Best advice would be to thoroughly clean around the area and see what you can see. Clean, dry and dust with talc. Any oil trails should show up in the talc.

I did clean it up well and drive it for a week, and it is around these two sensors in particular that the oil is appearing from.

What are the two sensors? and what size spanner/socket do I need to remove them?

Also, where would I find new ones?

Edited by shaunje

standard vw oil pressure warning switches, should be able to pick up pattern ones from factors/ebay/second hand or new from VW pretty easily, the part no.s and pressure values are stamped on the bottom of them, one is for warning low pressure at idle the other low pressure at about 2000rpm, so one is about 0.3 bar the other about 1.3, the values vary from car to car and it's not completely necessary to have exactly the right ones.

large sized hex, I've used a big adjustable spanner to remove them.

list of 4 cyl oil pressure switches:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75626[/ATTACH]

Edited by davidwort

standard vw oil pressure warning switches, should be able to pick up pattern ones from factors/ebay/second hand or new from VW pretty easily, the part no.s and pressure values are stamped on the bottom of them, one is for warning low pressure at idle the other low pressure at about 2000rpm, so one is about 0.3 bar the other about 1.3, the values vary from car to car and it's not completely necessary to have exactly the right ones.

large sized hex, I've used a big adjustable spanner to remove them.

list of 4 cyl oil pressure switches:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75626[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your help!

I have an ABF sat about, would this have the same sensors on it?

possibly, some engines have a temp sensor on the oil filkter housing too, usually a smaller switch, if you see any on the abf that look like the ones on the KR oil filter housing, unscrew them and take a look at the pressure values stamped under them.