Smiithy

16v 9a C, power loss when warm

Corrado 2.0 16v (1992, 9a Engine code)

Right where to start, I’ve owned my C for around 8 months now, no real issues, serviced twice (6k intervals) and had the belts done when I brought it.

Last night when driving along as I shifted to 4th and put my foot back down (just cruising not thrashing) there was a very noticeable power loss. Took the car home, left it and had a read up. I read it could be the lift pump and the symptoms pointed that way so this morning I drove to the fuel station filled her full and began my drive to work. When the temp hit 90, after a mile or 2 the power loss came back.

The power loss is all the way though the rev band. I have done the fuel filter, green temp sensor, general servicing, its also had plugs and leads, new rotor arm and cap not long back. What else could it be?

Also if it helps figure the issue, when first starting from cold it will run ok for 30secs then start missing and hunting, when applying revs the misfire is very clear to hear. This all clears half a mile up the road with a little heat in her.

Could be related?

Help would be really appreciated, could do with fixing this tomorrow as I’m supposed to be moving house on Friday!

Hello there,

Are you getting a smell of extra fuel, or is there black, blue, or white smoke from the exhaust at all,

are the dash lights or head lights flickering at all when the power suddenly reduces,

is there any clicking or buzzing noises at all, or any funny smells.

yeah the two fuel pumps can play up but it would be all the time or when fuel is very low in fuel tank,

which of course you've already found out and read about by the sounds of it.

Erm it could be the hall sensor in the distributor,

when these become worn / weak they can affect the engines performance,

by not allowing it to rev once started or can have the fault when the engine is up to temp as you are having.

Could also be a fault with the Lamda sensor as again these can affect the engines performance when up to temp.

The coolant temp switch is the other thing that can course the error that you have,

when these go wrong the car won't start when engine is warm or cold, or if it does it will run like a bag of pooh.

But you've said that you've replaced this ?

Could be head gasket that's on it's way out which only really shows it's self once the engine is up to temp,

i.e misfiring and loss of power.

Check water and oil levels and check they haven't mixed with each other,

plus carrier out a compression test on the 4 cylinders just to rule it out.

Also make sure that the coolant hoses aren't too hard i.e too much pressure with in coolaning system,

as this can be a sign of (Head Gasket going) or Thermostate sticking.

Warn valves that may only affect the performance when the engine is up to temp,

again this can be checked via a compression test.

Check valve timing via cam belt, timing marks are on the cam and crank pulleys, just in case ?

Ignition coil can play up when they're hot after 10 mins of driving, which can produce a weakened spark.

Exhaust catalytic converter these can play up when they're old.

1) Your vehicle’s fuel efficiency suddenly drops.

2) Your vehicle doesn’t accelerate when you step on the gas pedal.

3) Your vehicle may refuse to start.

4) Your vehicle fails an emissions test.

5) Check Engine light comes on.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft: