SteveRobb

Some very basic advice

Hi guys looking for some very basic advice/help please...

I have recently aquired a 95 Mystic Blue Storm and wanted to perform a basic service/diagnostic test and a few subtle improvements to energise the engine a little...

Service - anyone reccomend a good set of spark plugs - there are literally loads to choose from

Subtle mods - with the new spark plugs was going to fit new high performance HT leads - again can anyone reccomend a brand and confirm if I need a 6 lead set or a 7 lead set... looking on ebay it would appear that I either have a coil only or coil plus distributer???? Im sure I should know this but tbh I dont. Cant think I have seen a distributer but could just be I havent looked.

Finally - is it possible for ongoing maintenance to have my own diagnostic tool/tester - again where do I buy and what brand model etc

many thanks in advance

Steve

Yep its a coilpack model not dizzy its located at the right hand side of the block on the side with all your leads plugged in to it

On a standard vr or not heavily modified anyway id stick with normal size leads that will fit in to the lead holders , you wont notice any difference with bigger leads

Apparently vr6 motors dont like these fancy irridium plugs and a singal point plug will do just as good a job , i used ngk plugs and there fine

Other than that a good oil change and filter change will do it good and iv always found that vr's run alot better on 99 ron fuels ie tescos momentum or shell v power

Ohh and iv never heard of a seven lead set , six leads should be all you need inless someone knows better , if your not sure go to ur car and count how many is on it at the min

You'd need 7 leads if its was a distributor equipped VR6 as the extra lead is required to go to the centre node on the dizzy cap from the coil. But yours is a coilpack-equipped car as already stated so no need to worry.

In terms of diagnostic equipment, the best thing to get for diagnostics is a genuine Vagcom cable (good Rosstech Vagcom). Very useful but unfortunately not cheap at £300-ish for the lead.

I'd advise NGK plugs as well, I use these all the time and never have any problems, very god quality plug!

As for diagnostics I'd say get VCDS, you don't have to get the full version and for what you need the Basic level would do the job well

I ordered a vag com lead of eBay £7 with software and does everything I need on the C very happy with that and also fitted the standard Ngk plugs cheap too :-)

"Apparently vr6 motors dont like these fancy irridium plugs"

An "Apparently" being used there, but make of that what u will... that's probably something someone once heard of a guy who told a guy bla bla... however i have ran them since i had the car an used them in every car i own. Your call though bro. I'm sure NGK just rate them higher and charge more for the fun of it, :bonk:

To be fair only so much difference a plug can make, i just like to have the best.

It was advice of here that i had read when making the choice for my own car , that advice came from kev haywire who supercharged then turbo charged then r32'd i always trust his advice as it is usually sound , his post said , as asked in the topic about what plug is best that the vr6 lump didnt really get on with these fancy four electrode irridium plug type plugs , and that the ngk single or double point normal plugs was just as good .

Mine cost 20 quid for six and have been sweet but its your choice mate and ej im only repeating what was said , wich was advice from here from known clever people not people who think they are clever and forum dicks ! Im not hitting out just saying lol

No sweat, appreciate everyones advice... as said its ultimately my choice. I have chosen the standard plug and will see how I get on with that. Ive also got a standard set of Ignition leads and a full set of filters for a full service from Europarts - all in I was only £73 which is much less than I was thinking it would be.

Cars done 160k and no idea when the last time the plugs and leads were changed... if at all so hopeful it will make a little difference, sort out the slightly eratic idle at least.

Plan is to get the car mechanically tip top before I splash out on the respray....

Once again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. Appreciated!

Steve