radosean

do i need a oil cooler kit on a N/A vr6??

Hi

I am building up my vr6 at the minute and while its all in bits and out of the car i was thinking about fitting an oil cooler

I have on fitted to my old mini but as the abv is abit newer engine do i really need one??

Most of the threads i have read are about using them on forced induction applications but for a n/a vr thats gonna be abused hear and there might it be worthwhile??

any thoughts would be appriciated

cheers

I've never bothered, just stuck with the standard one and don't have any issues, i figured if all was well for 200,000miles then i don't really need to upgrade now.

I've got a FI VR6 and even with the charger, I'm not getting any really alarming oil temps. I'm using top spec Esther based oil so that might help a bit. I have bought an oil cooler but I'm in not rush to fit, will wait until something goes wrong in that part of the engine bay and then sort it out.

BTW I live in the North East so ambient temp never really gets hotter than 25C

No. The standard car is designed to operate even in high temperatures and not overheat. There is absolutely no need for an oil cooler unless you plan to track it often, or drive it across Death Valley :) Just ensure you replace worn cooling components with quality parts, not the cheapest you can find, and you should have no issues.

As above on most standard engines you're fine, G60's do get very hot so it's one of the first things I advise if people starting chasing more power.

But on the other hand it is always good to keep oil at a good temperature, this is around 90'c and you'll find almost all factory engines will run at 100'C if not more, the factory oil cooler is there for warming engines up as much as it is for keeping them cool so you probably would see some improvements in running on hotter days, but always use a thermostatic cooler plate with a cooler to stop oil being cooled under 90'C

I chose to fit one as I drive my car fairly hard on occasion and go on road trips in the alps etc. They are not essential but as with most mods they suit some people/ cars but not all.

fitted one on my standard VR. Brought oil temps down by around 10C. Personal preference I guess.

I chose to fit one as I drive my car fairly hard on occasion and go on road trips in the alps etc. They are not essential but as with most mods they suit some people/ cars but not all.

yeah same here before at 130mph (on a private road of course) id see 140 oil temp now on full chat with the oil cooler i see 130 and on run down it cools the oil alot quicker always use good oil thou cant recommend that enough i use 10w 50w silkoline from the oilman on here (thats his user name )he gives forum discount but its still £45 a pop