VW_OwneR_85

PAS fluid red & green mix....

hi all, my power steering used to be really nice! then after the 24v conversion {had to drain pump + new fluid} when up to temp the pump would squeal under pressure and generally feel like crap when doing slow tight turns i.e 3point turns, fine from cold though, I thought this was due to the heat from the down pipe even though it has heat wrap so I heat wrapped around the rack and made no difference and after looking abit further into it the new pas fluid {green} has mixed with the old red fluid that was still left in the rack so my fluid is neither red nor green! iv since drained it out best I could and turned left/right to drain the rack further and replaced the fluid again with more genuine green stuff its slightly improved but still pretty crappy when up to temp, im going to drain and replace the fluid again in the hope that it flushs all the old red stuff out, seeing as it only gets crappy when up to temp im thinking this is because the fluid is getting thin causing the pump to squeal, iv seen PAS leak stop by lucas for vw's which is supposed to thicken the fluid for old pas pumps which would probably solve my problem, anyone had my problem with the two fluids mixing? don't want to keep wasting pas fluid but seems like my only option right now...

lucas leak stop http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STEERING-PAS-RACK-LEAK-CURE-for-VW-CORRADO-/360364776352?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item53e76a1ba0

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

I have been thinking about this myself!

From what I can understand you should be running mineral oil rather than atf but what colour cap do you have on the reservoir?

Is it red or green? Im not sure but I always thought it denoted what you should be using but im sure someone on here will verify that.

I have put some stp power steering additive in my vw van and it was fantastic even quietened the pump down on full lock ordered some more for the rado !

After the late 80's all the vw's went to green LHM type hydraulic fluid, regardless of reservoir cap, my 1990 16v has a red cap even with ATF imprinted on it but I has never had ATF in it and neither should it have. The genuine vw fluid may have a slightly different viscosity to general green fluid but I've used the LHM stuff for years with no trouble.

what colour cap do you have on the reservoir?

Is it red or green? Im not sure but I always thought it denoted what you should be using but im sure someone on here will verify that.

I have put some stp power steering additive in my vw van and it was fantastic even quietened the pump down on full lock ordered some more for the rado !

yea your right about the colour cap for the colour fluid, iv just recently realised this, mine does have a red cap but reading up here about pas fluid everyone points to the green stuff which is why I used it in the first place, also apparently vw no longer make the red fluid so green stuff must be safe to use?

cheers dave, just seen your post ,