feeenix14

New VR6 owner in the midlands

Finished. Just need to fill up fluids and do a brake bleed and its good to go. New chains, clutch, ball joints, track rods, bearings, discs, pads, hard lines, braided flexy hoses, piston seals and boots, slider pins, abs sensors. Flippin loads !!

Im nackered.

Yes pal, quite easy actually once id managed to get the pistons out the fronts. I was getting annoyed as i thought i would have to take them to a garage with an air gun but i managed to bodge an old tyre inflator onto a battery to do it. I have a video but not sure how to upload it

hmmm. i uploaded a video, i can see it if i use tapatalk on my mobile but i cant see it on my work computer ? ah well. i tried.

Rears are on, picking up my fluids tonight, i could only get hold of 15w50 oil but hopefully it will be ok, if i dont get back too late i will have a go at starting him up !!

It lives !! Started straight away !! I am so so happy its all gone to plan, got it running on monday, then spent the next day bleeding my brakes which went fine then a whole evening and loads of fluid trying to do my clutch, in the end i bought a gunsons eezibleed and had it done in minutes off a mountain bike tyre. Seriously kicking myself for not taking peoples advice and getting one to start with. Had a quick drive and everything seems fine, plan now is to finish work and get home asap and take the car to the garage just down the road to get the top nut off the front struts, then i can fit front coilies and book for MOT. Chuffed to bits !!

pics this evening

Assuming you've got new top nuts with your coilovers:

I had success on the last nightmare one I had by drilling approx 4mm downwards through the nut, once each side, then cold chiselled through it.

Just a thought if you're struggling to get it to a garage.

I might give that a bash actually, just dont want to damage the strut itself because i want to keep all the original parts in case i want to go back to stock at some point

I used an electric impact wrench on my top mounts. Worked a treat (I keep one in the car for wheel changes etc. worth every penny of the £30 they cost.

The more I'm thinking about this the more confused im getting. When i look at the nut on the top of the strut its bolted to a thread which has an allen bolt top. So i have the correct swan neck spanner and the correct allen key tool, but i cant undo them as they are stuck solid.

If i purchase an impact gun (something I've wanted for a while) and try and undo surely theres nothing to hold the allen bolt part in place ?

unless something has gone wrong inside the strut ? I thought with the wheel and everything attached I would be able to ignore the allen bolt part and just yank on my swan neck but the allen bolt just spins with it ? :scratch:

The allen key part is the part of struct that goes all the way inside the shock body and it spins round. The theory with an impact gun is that it spins the nut so fast the rod doesn't rotate.

Beware you can damaged the threads when using an impact gun on them, especially when tightening them.

The allen key part is the part of struct that goes all the way inside the shock body and it spins round. The theory with an impact gun is that it spins the nut so fast the rod doesn't rotate.

Beware you can damaged the threads when using an impact gun on them, especially when tightening them.

Yeah, that's exactly how it did work. Didn't use it to do the nut back up.