andyhudson

rear top mount knocking

The car is lowered on koni adjustable coilovers, and for a while now i have had a knocking noise the on the left rear only. With being busy i didn't have time to get down to the cause striaght away.

First of all i was pritty sure it was the heat shield banging so i put new clips on that and got it sorted but no change. Next i found my middle exhaust hanger broke so though surely it has to be that so i welded it up and nope it wasnt that either. Then i found a little bit of play in bearing but there was no wirring noise but changed it anyway and it wasnt this. i noticed tyre was rubbing so have managed to put 6mm spacers on but cant be certain for sure it isn't rubbing still. i changed the top mount and it still hasn't gone. im certain its the topmount as ive had all the trim off and tried watching the mount as driving. Or could it be a knackered shock?

you can hear the noise all the time on small sharp bumps in the road, if i was travelling at speed and there was a long wallow bump with a decent amount of compresion on suspension theres no noise at all.

its driving me up the wall. anyone else had this or can anyone shed any light or help.

cheers andy

I had a similar problem on some rear dampers recently, at normal rest position they chattered over slight bumps in the road, replaced beam bushes, top mounts (this was on a mark 4) and finally changed the dampers and it went, just dodgy dampers (kyb's)

well ive polybushed the beam so i know them bushes are good. i have been tempted to swap the shocks over and see if the noise changes sides. i suppose im trying to avoid that as then ill have to admit i need to dip into my pocket and get new coilovers or refurb these.

also does anyone know the torque figure for the nut on topmounts?

Having the same problem on the rear left too! driving me nuts... I have brand new coilovers, top mounts ,bearings, everything new and it still knocks!

I feel your pain.

Rear right for me! :lol:

A contributor on mine was the rear brake hose banging on the beam, the tiny clips come loose and vanish. Cable tie sorted it...

i checked my exhaust and felt that it had enough clearance on small bumps for sure not to be it and that only on harsh bumps and near full travel it would hit. ill have alook at brake lines but i think there fairly well routed.

well i swapped the shocks over and 5 mile down road the knocking come back and it was on the right hand side now, shock dead? im confused why it doesn't do it straight away though

anyone know how much it is to have konis refurbished?