Jon94VR

Crappy idle VR6

Looking for confirmation really as got an idea what's up, this has literally just started on the way home about an hour ago, sounds really rough as you drive along, idle is at around 500/600 rpm, no split hoses or anything, guessing the coilpack is kaputski?

Hello there,

yeah it could be your coil pack that's on the way out.

I think a few of the other guys on this forum have used an old bleach sprayer,

and filled it up with water and set the end nozzle to fine spray,

and sprayed a fine mist just above the coil pack to see if it's arcing out side it's outer casing.

Unless you can test it on the VAG.COM if you've got that on a laptop i.e diagnostic scanner.

Or it could be fuel related i.e the thermal transmitter (coolant temp switch) ??

When these go the engine can misfire and run rough as it's over fuelling.

Hope this helps.

Si

Lambda faulty - wiring broken

ISV needs cleaning

TPS faulty

Broken/not seated ht leads

Worn out plugs

Blue temp gauge faulty

Air leak

few things to go at :)

The saga continues...left it for a few days and the problem seemed to have disappeared, went for bit of a drive and it was fine, thought nothing of it, went out again Friday night and whilst in a small queue of traffic, the problem returned, running lumpy, idle at 600, pretty much instantly, its like something switched off?

Kept going as was closer to destination than home, smell of exhaust in the cabin, mpg hovering around 20 instead of mid 30's, smelling a little warm once switched off, guessing the lambda is kaput? Which is going to be an arse to change I guess? Anyone got a part number for one?

I don't know the part number but must be a way of finding out. Do you use vagcat?

Has none of the above suggestions helped? Been thinking of cleaning my isv as my idle is a bit rough. But not lumpy.

Don't know lambda part number but probably worth getting it scanned for fault codes before replacing stuff.

So the problem only appears once the engine is up to full working temperature then?

I really can't see much point in trying too hard to diagnose without actually consulting the ECU though .. get it VAGCOMed, otherwise you're just wasting time and potentially throwing money away.