Jamie

VSR Hitting Bonnet - Solved

Finally got my rims sorted and took my car for a nice long drive yesterday afternoon for the first time with the VSR fitted. Can't believe the difference it makes - its awesome. Spent most of the drive dropping down a gear and nailing it. Which could be the cause of...

Only problem is when I came home and put the car away I noticed a nasty dent on the bonnet. Opened it up and the paint on the corner of the VSR and the underneath of the bonnet has worn away and the bonnet insulation has melted all over the top of the manifold. What I don't understand is I would put this down to the engine shifting as I'm booting it but the previous owner has fitted uprated engine mounts and they don't look very old at all. Do they normally raise the engine slightly? The other thing that concerns me is I know you get this problem with the Schrick manifolds but as the VSR is a factory mod I thought it should be fine. Never had any issues with the standard manifold either. Is it just a case of cut down the mounts?

Help!

Edited by Jamie

Not sure mate. What I'd do though is run the car along to The Phirm who are not far from you, and ask them to take a look. They'll give you a no nonsense opinion and you can go from there. I'm sure Tim would be happy to help you, even over the phone. He's done all the wok on my car, looks after a number of Corrado VR6s and his father has for an immaculate G60. He knows his dubs.

HTH

Charlie

I'm sure I've read here that part of the bonnets inside skin has to be cut on the corrado as it catches on the VSR (not needed on the Golf / Vento / Passat VR6s).

The Corrado has a redesigned bonnet with more clearance for the VR6

Oh FFS! I thought it was just the Schrick that needed clearancing. Every how-to I read for the Schrick mentioned it, none of the VSR ones did :(

Trouble is where it's catching isn't just on the frame, won't I run the risk of cutting through the bonnet?

null_zps144e2ac9.jpg

I used a dremel to cut away a section , theres some good info on google its not hard to cut out and makes no difference to the bonnets strenght

What engine mounts do you have Jamie as that looks quite high up contact when compared to a Schrick mani. Does the engine jump up quite high on the front mount when the engine is revved?

Yeah that's what I was thinking Keith - doesn't seem to be hitting where the Schrick does. Not sure on the make of the mounts but they're polyurethane and look pretty new. Engine doesn't really move at all if you rev it sat still.

Bit worried about taking a Dremel to it as the bit in the picture that hasn't rubbed is where the skin is welded to the frame and I'm wary of going through the skin.

Just how close does it look when you just close the bonnet? might be worth just using some plastigauge or a lump of bluetak to see how much room you actually have without the engine running/ transmission force etc.

Mine has front and rear Vibratec mounts and a VF gearbox mount which does keep things pretty much located but still allowed some contact with the Schrick.

Yeah gonna get some plasticine under there and have a look. Also going to take a bit off the underside of the bonnet and maybe take a tiny amount of the edge of the VSR.

Check the mounts are seated properly, had this on my old car and it raised the engine a fraction had to un do them and raise the engine with a jack, worth checking before you start chopping.

I think people might die

Hahaha didn't mean loads just a barely noticeable inch or two hacked off with a blunt jigsaw :lol:

I was sure a vsr would fit without the need for butchery and its only schrick that requires this. Check your mounts bud. Is there excessive movement when you grab the engine and try ro move it?

Vag-Hag - Yep that's what I thought the VSR should just go on. Going to check the mounts this weekend. Engine is completely solid with no movement at all whilst stationary.

Jamie - good call but I'm pretty sure mines a VR bonnet - raised in the middle?

Raised in the middle...hmm. I'd describe it as humped at the front. If it's not a VR one it'll look quite flat and low. I ran mine with a 'normal' one for a while and the engine hit.

By raised in the middle I meant the bonnet is humped in the centre as opposed to raised at the sides and recessed in the centre.

null_zps859f217b.png

I would cut down the front mount, 10-20mm should do,

the section you cut off the mount can then be used as a spacer between the donut rubber (underneath cross member)and cross member, that way you dont have to cut center threaded section therefore keeping thread length, plus easy to revert back to stock,

Given that you've got the right bonnet, the VSR was designed to fit, and you're saying the mounts are solid I'd put money on them either not seating correctly... as someone suggested.... or are you sure they are the correct mounts for the Corrado?