Sign in to follow this  
GPP

Hello Newbie...

Hello

Im Steve, I currently have a MK3 GTI 16v and a MK1 Golf.

Im a moderator for ClubGTI and my website is http://www.VolksDub.com

Im soon to sell my MK3 as I was made a very good offer I couldnt refuse.

To cut a long story short, I am going to be getting a Corrado Storm next :lol:

So any info on what to look for when buying.

One thing that I do worry about is getting a fake corrado storm is this possible ??

Is there a way to find out if its a genuine one by VIN number etc ?? as anyone could get the badges and retrim leather etc.. Or am I just being stupid :roll:

Anyway im sure you lot know 8)

Cheers

Steve

Hiya!

Welcome to the forum... 8)

Check HERE for our buyers guide, and HERE for a quick guide to Storms

It is possible to create a fake Storm, and as there is nothing on the V5 to say that it's a Storm or not, your only way of checking is to phone VW with the chassis number and ask them if it is a true Storm or not... :|

Good luck! 8)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'll make this quick as I am about to finish work early today and I want to get out on time ;)

Best thing is to check in our Common Corrado Questions section, and there is a nice big buyers guide with loads of info in there on what to look for. Being a VW owner already you'll know the normal stuff, but there are a whole host of Corrado specific tips in there.

As for the Storm, well there are only certain combinations of colour / interior you can get so thats a good start - but I believe if you phone up VW with the VIN number they will confirm whether it is a Storm or not with you :)

*edit*

Beaten to it by Henny.. doh :(

Cheers Guys :mrgreen:

So just ring any VW dealer and they should be able to tell me ?

I know there is only the 2 colours and what leather they have, but just got that horrible feeling someone would try and pass one off to me as a storm :(

But thats good news if VW will tell me 8) Probably try and charge me for finding it out knowing them :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Hello there

Don't waste your money on a storm, they are overpriced.

Buy a cheaper, but better speeced VR6 and spend the money saved on a schrick manifold and ATB diff and enjoy. :mrgreen:

Have a look at that link about the Storms and you should be able to suss out if most fakes from that... There are people who have cars that are VERY similar to Storm spec here (Jedi-Knight being one), and they're the ones that you'd have to phone about to make sure it is a genuine one... 8)

The blue ones are harder to fake as this was a Storm only colour, where as Classic green was available on non-Storm cars too...

Personally, I can no longer find the massive attraction with Corrado Storm, as it's possible to get a better spec'd VR6 for less money now... IMHO the only thing that you get is the knowledge that it's slightly more exclusive due to the badging.... At least the Scirroco Storms were a better spec than the normal Sciroccos... :roll:

I bet my non sunroofed, dark burgundy pearl 8v with grey trim and non height adjustable steering column is rarer than a storm anyway! :-P

Cheers Guys :mrgreen:

So just ring any VW dealer and they should be able to tell me ?

Cheers

Steve

no better off phoning VW customer services :wink: .....can't remember the number tho :oops:

Agree about the Storm over priced comment. Leather etc doesnt make them any faster. Depends on what you want I suppose.

Hello there

Don't waste your money on a storm, they are overpriced.

Buy a cheaper, but better speeced VR6 and spend the money saved on a schrick manifold and ATB diff and enjoy. :mrgreen:

good example being moonlightVR's minter 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cheers for all the comments.

I understand what you are saying, does seem to be alot more money just to have a badge saying storm. :?

I think I will keep to my plan though and keep looking for one, as I like the fact its a bit more exclusive, and as the corrado is so highly favoured as being a future classic I think it could be a good investment aswell :mrgreen: I hope :lol:

But if I normal VR comes along that is to good to miss then I wont say no.

Cheers once again.

Steve

Cheers for all the comments.

I understand what you are saying, does seem to be alot more money just to have a badge saying storm. :?

Steve

and of course the 1 group higher insurance rating :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Storm is a better investment, no question. Especially cherished standard ones.

Whether or not the small differences over a regular VR6 jusify the extra purchase cost is irrelevant. Some people *want* the feeling of knowing they've bought the 'top of the range' or most exclusive car of that make and model. Glasses et al know that and mark the price up accordingly. And lets face it, the VR6 Storm, sorry, Storm, *is* the most well known and sort after Corrado.

K

It will not be used every day, as I got my MK1 Golf for my daily driver.. so it will be a weekend and show car only..

I am hoping to find one with under 70k and full VAG history aswell :?

Prices seem to be around 8k from what I have seen.. But I still think that could be an investment as im a really fussy person, I would make sure the car is perfect when I get one. stone chips etc

My MK3 golf only gets used if its sunny, never see's rain.. I just like the feeling of having something special in the garage :mrgreen: Bit sad really but thats me :|

I have been offered 6k for my MK3 and that reflects the quality and condition of it due to me being so fussy :roll: lol

frontns.jpg

I like Mystic blue aswell :mrgreen: Best colour for the MK3 golf I think, so wouldnt mind it again on a corrado :mrgreen:

If you get the Corrado you have to put those BBS on it. They are lovely. Always liked the BBS RV's but they seem to be rare as hell.

Ah, but therein lies the problem to modify a Storm in anyway defeats the purpose of paying the badge premium in the first place. Personal choice of course but I don't regard a specific spec ltd edition model as retaining that status once modded.

£8K!!!

I've got about £6500 in mine, and look at the spec! would I swap it for a mint low mileage storm? would I f*ck.

If you get the Corrado you have to put those BBS on it. They are lovely. Always liked the BBS RV's but they seem to be rare as hell.

The wheels are going with the Golf I think :( unless I work out a deal to keep them..

They are BBS RK2's split rims.

But as said by OSV about keeping the car standard due to it being a storm, is something I would most probably do as I cant see much I would want to change..

If I did anything it would be a set of wheels, but would keep the originals aswell..

But as I said above if a mint non storm came along I would probably buy that 8)

Have to agree with Phat there. low mileage Storm prices are just reeediculous. If I were to do the Corrado buying thing again (knowing what I know now about the VR6 engine), I'd look for a dirt cheap minter with good spec & high miles, and then spend the 3 or 4 grand I saved on an engine rebuild or 3.1 transplant, Schrick, etc.... my 2p.

Cheers,

Robbo

Ah, but therein lies the problem to modify a Storm in anyway defeats the purpose of paying the badge premium in the first place. Personal choice of course but I don't regard a specific spec ltd edition model as retaining that status once modded.

Its not as if changeing the wheels is not reversible, if anything he's keeping the Storm wheels in better condition by keeping them in the garage and not useing them.

It will still be a storm at the end of the day, 1 of 500 minus how many have been written off.

Give me a low mileage Storm over any Corrado any day, better spec'ed VR6's havent got that much more, air con, recaro seats, gauge panel, headlight washers, cant think of much more? and finding one with ALL that and low mileage is gonna be just as rare to find. and a high mileage one i think regardless of how well it might have been looked after, is still not as desirable, especially if he wants an investment.

I have nothing against modding any car reversible or not. You pays your money and so on... People can do whatever they want with their own property. My point was if you pay a premium to buy a Ltd Edition car with a definitive spec. you may as well keep it in that spec. If you are going to modd or change specs you will have choice of many more cars and perhaps save money at the outset by not paying a Storm premium. Ultimately condition and spec has more relevance to what someone is prepared to pay.

Give me a low mileage Storm over any Corrado any day, better spec'ed VR6's havent got that much more, air con, recaro seats, gauge panel, headlight washers, cant think of much more? and finding one with ALL that and low mileage is gonna be just as rare to find. and a high mileage one i think regardless of how well it might have been looked after, is still not as desirable, especially if he wants an investment

How much do you think they are going to be worth? :shock:

There are 1000s of people out there that will happily pay over the odds for a Storm. Agree with that or not, that's the way it is and we can't change it.

So if you're not planning on selling a storm, do what you like to it but keep the standard fixtures and fittings, just in case.

If you're buying one as an investment, leave it boggo standard. Customers that are after a standard Storm will walk away from a modded one.

K