Tjninny

Rear brake disc shields

Not looked closely yet, but just wondered how the rear stub axle and disc dust shield on a VR6 are separated? Seems that there is metal ring which is part of the stub axle and it covers the bolts so the stub axle can't be removed? That can't be right though can it? Perhaps need to wait till morning and have a better look

I just did this recently. I didn't see any ring. Mine was like this: rear beam->brake guard->stub axle->washers and bolts. ie the brake guard goes between the beam and stub axle.

Strange - my disc shield is on top of the stub axle, but there is what seems like large washer partly covering the stub axle bolts - this is actually part of the stub axle, and I have had to bend it slightly to clear the bolts so I can then remove the stub axle. Problem is the shield and stub axle will not then separate due to the "washer" part of the stub axle.

Strange - my disc shield is on top of the stub axle, but there is what seems like large washer partly covering the stub axle bolts - this is actually part of the stub axle, and I have had to bend it slightly to clear the bolts so I can then remove the stub axle. Problem is the shield and stub axle will not then separate due to the "washer" part of the stub axle.

Did you ever find out how to get around this? As im having the same problem with mine now and I didnt know whether the only option was to bend the outer washer covering the bolts?

The washer is a separate part but it might look like it's welded itself into place on the axle. You will need to remove or bend it in order to get to those screws and you can fit a new one on reassembly.

nrc is right - I've just removed my O/S stub axle and the 'stub axle cover plate' (as it's called) was on the outside of the stub axle, preventing access to the 4 bolts that hold it all onto the trailing arm. So, I bent it inwards to access the 15mm bolt heads, and after removing those bolts I noticed that the bending had caused a small split where the cover plate had been forced even further onto the stub axle, so I stressed that until it broke in two and allowed me to get the stone shield off.

I've ordered another cover plate from VW Heritage for £4.50 plus P&P... :thumbleft:

Holy thread revival!

The ones on heritage are the wrong part (might just be wrong for vr6). Obsolete for Corrado from VW, however Passat ones are exactly the same. There was a thread listing the part number if you do a search mate

Holy thread revival!

The ones on heritage are the wrong part (might just be wrong for vr6). Obsolete for Corrado from VW, however Passat ones are exactly the same. There was a thread listing the part number if you do a search mate

Will let you know if it works for my G60... Will have a search for the thread listing Passat part code, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk