sheppeydave

Corrado 16v fuel smell???

Right could anyone shed any light on this situation I have a vw corrado 16v fuel smell with windows slinky cracked and now I'm getting it even through the vents now with the windows up before you say i have replaced the manifold gaskets like a thousand times replaced all the seven pipes from the metering head new inlet gaskets new throttle body gaskets new air intake pipe new air box new everything and I'm at a loss it's un drivable :-(when I tool the ht leads off I could smell really rich smell of fuel down in where the spark plugs are is this normal??

Yep it is all the lines are brand new I'm not getting any fuel leaks have had everything checked 10 times when I pull the ht leads off the plugs from the head smell the end of the lead it's like they have been diped in raw fuel??

Do your ht leads smell of raw fuel and it can't be normal to smell fuel through the vents and gives you a headache with the windows up or down so there is definately something there that's not normal it can't be right I can smell fuel on the ends of the ht leads.

Well I've had a 16v for 17 years and that's not normal, perhaps one or more injectors are leaking fuel when the engine is off or spraying so badly fuel is not burning. What are the plugs like?

I'd have thought it would run really rough if a spark plug wasn't sealing as it wouldn't make proper compression on that cylinder, if fuel isn't burning properly I'd expect pretty black plugs on one or more cylinders too. Pics of all the plugs would tell us a fair bit.

All the plugs are the same there is nothing wrong with the fueling side because I have just had it set up on the rolling road the smell is like a rich fuel smell all the time just doesn't make any sense.

Ok still getting fuel smel it seems to be coming from the tank area will have to drop it and have a look but would that make sense when you open the window drawing fuel smells in??

Well I get a strong whiff of fuel through the windows all the time the top of metering head smells of fuel but no leaks checked all the exhaust again no leaks just a strong smell from the tank ie filler neck area all the time think it is time to bite the bullet and take it to a garage:-(