Roger Chatfield

Brake bleeding routine

Evening chums,

As a few of you know I have been having a few problems with my abs, it looks like one of the internal valve on the abs module has stopped working however the problem goes away when the engine bay warms up, so as a last effort before committing myself to another module I'm going to replace the brake fluid.

So, I'm going to use a pressure bleeder but was wondering what the bleed routine was? I was planning on just removing each wheel in turn and bleeding the caliper until it runs clear, is there a set order that I need to follow? also are there any bleed nipples on the abs module that I need to do?

Many thanks,

Rog.

The VW procedure is to do it with the ignition on and I think start with the rear calipers, then the fronts, but I don't think it matters really so long as you flush each corner good and proper.

Sounds to me like the ABS pump needs stripping down and cleaning out etc. Do a search for KipVR's threads as he did that himself a few years ago. There's no need to replace it. They just get crudded up through lack of use. It's a good idea to activate the ABS on quiet roads from time to time to keep the valves moving freely.

There are nipples on the ABS unit and the Master cylinder, although these aren't normally bled.

It's nice to switch to a coloured DOT4 like ATE super blue or Motul. That way you can see when all the old crud is flushed through.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Evening chums,

As a few of you know I have been having a few problems with my abs, it looks like one of the internal valve on the abs module has stopped working however the problem goes away when the engine bay warms up, so as a last effort before committing myself to another module I'm going to replace the brake fluid.

So, I'm going to use a pressure bleeder but was wondering what the bleed routine was? I was planning on just removing each wheel in turn and bleeding the caliper until it runs clear, is there a set order that I need to follow? also are there any bleed nipples on the abs module that I need to do?

Many thanks,

Rog.

the rears need weight on them so don't take the rear wheels off unless you put a g clamp or tie wrap the brake compensator thingie down. just behind the rear axle on pas side.

did mine a few weeks ago without taking any wheels off just put the front on full lock.

I didn't think the ignition did need to be on for corrado brakes (but I'm not certain). See here for some good info.

I think the valve problem is relatively common - and as you've found often isn't a problem once the car has warmed up.