robrado974

Using a multi meter

Can anyone give me the basics for using one please . I have looked online before i bought one and the tutorials were a bit sketchy . I got my meter this week and the cd that came with it as a user guide has a large crack in it .Im just trying to find out if there is anything wrong with the coil and other electric plugs that are causing starting problems . Ive looked at the manual , for example it says to check the coil , remove power lead and the one that goes to the dizzy . Place the meter probe in points 1-15 and it will give you a reading ,in ohms ,so if i set the meter to ohms i should be ok . I presume the negative is placed on an earthing point at the same time . Electrics are really not my thing , i bought the meter so i can try and do stuff myself instead of paying £70.00 an hour for an auto electrician . But having said that once you get used to using something its easy , i just dont wont to damage the coil or ecu , or the meter !

Many thanks

Rob

Edited by robrado974

The only settings you want to use when fault finding are the VDC (volts DC) and the Ohms settings.

Use the ohms setting when testing dead circuits, ie when you are checking that is not a break in a cable or something, basically you connect the meter to both ends on the cable and you should get a reading close to zero ohms.

When testing live circuits use the VDC setting set to something like 20 volts or higher as you are checking 12v circuits.

Connect the black cable to a good earth and then use the red cable/probe to test for voltage, you should see about 10-12 volts, normally a bit higher if the engine is running.

Off topic slightly, I've been having a little think about your car.

Basically I've borrowed Sean's VAGCOM and did a scan of my storm, amongst the various fault codes was one for the immobiliser which I assume is related to the non start problem I had a few weeks ago, I wonder if it's worth me popping up and doing a scan of yours mate, see what faults pop up.

Rog.

That would be great Rog . When did you have in mind ? . Thanks for info , where is the best place for an earth ? . It was tested and came back with no faults . Then it went to a garage and the lamda came up . I've got a new lambda but I'm struggling to get to the nut !

Rob

For an earth use either any exposed bear metal (as the car chassis is earthed) or the negative terminal of the battery.

I may able to pop up tomorrow for an hour mate, just need to check with the boss.

PM me your number.

Rog.

Make sure to always test lead resistance before testing anything poor leads can give false readings

Thanks Gareth will do .

Rob