vw bobby

Help on a Christmas present for my wife for all those tech people out there

Hi All,

I want to buy a android tablet for my wife for Christmas.and want to spend about £200 and preferably want a 10"+ screen.

Can anyone advise on a good one that I can buy.

This will primarily be for surfing, watching films ect. Also if possible would love one with a HDMI port, so I can transfer films straight to my TV. Not worried about it be 4G, just need it to be WIFI.

Any help really appriciated.

Thanks

Bobby

Have to give a second thumbs up for the Nexus 7. Yes, it doesn't have a 10" screen, but it's probably one of the best Android tablets on the market. And being a Google device, it gets the very latest updates as soon as they're launched rather than months later like most other manufacturers.

I've got the first gen Nexus 7 and it's great :)

Cheers for the advise guys.

I just popped into PC World on the way back home and they have a Lenovo Yoga 8 and its a 8". Does anyone know if this is a good one? There is a 10.1" on the market as well, but not in PC World.

If anyone can shed some light on these will be good?

Another vote for Nexus 7 - me and the missus have both had one for a year now and its brilliant. Great value for money imo

play were doing ipad mini 1's for £200

Tesco hudl has high def screen and hdmi out (£60 in Tesco clubcard vouchers)

old or new nexus 7

second hand ipad 2/3

if you can get a good deal on the Samsung tablets you might get a 10" screen

I have a new nexus 7 under the tree waiting for me and its by far the best tablet i have used to date,(hence my repeated hints to the wife to get me one) and even the older nexus 7 which i have used alot is a quality item.

We brought the kids a Archos Titanium 101 each for christmas though and we have had a little play with them and seem to be a quality item. The screen is a 10.1 inch jobbie and i think the resolution is an IPS panel 1280 x 800 which isnt comparable to a nexus but its still a fairly decent screen, has a HDMI output, expandable memory so we brought the 8 or 16 gb model, cant remember but was the smaller of the options and then just spend £40 on a couple of 32gb mini sd cards. has front and rear cameras and runs on android jelly bean duel core processor, 1gb ram etc etc .

They are metal cased and feel well made which is one of the reasons we got them for the kids as accidents happen. We were going to get them nexus 7 each but decided that for how much they would appreciate the bigger screen of the archos this trumped the performance advantage of the nexus.

£160 from staples, pretty much the same prices online too.

details found here http://www.archos.com/gb/products/elements/titanium/archos_101titanium/index.html

I will admit though, if it was for me id have the nexus every time

Hope this helps

Edited by bendunstan

I have a new nexus 7 under the tree waiting for me and its by far the best tablet i have used to date...

I tried one out the other day, very fast and responsive and that's compared to the ipad3 I use every day, very impressed, I just prefer a bigger screen for use at home as I do more web browsing than film watching or game playing and a small tablet doesn't seem a big enough step up from my phone for that.

I tried one out the other day, very fast and responsive and that's compared to the ipad3 I use every day, very impressed, I just prefer a bigger screen for use at home as I do more web browsing than film watching or game playing and a small tablet doesn't seem a big enough step up from my phone for that.

I agree, and that is what is swaying me away from the Nexus 7

I love my Nexus 7 but use it a lot while commuting. If I only used it at home then a larger screen would be better. Nexus 10?