Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Starting issue.

I hope someone can help me out with this problem. Since I have had the car it has been quite tough to start, at all times, cold, warm, hot whatever. When I turn the key, obviously all the relevant dashboard lights come on, but when I turn it all the way to start the engine, one of two things happens. The lights will stay on, and the car will start, or the lights will all go off, and the car won't start, but it will also stop trying to start after about five seconds.

Any ideas what it could be, I was thinking ignition switch, but not sure what the symptons of a dodgy one are.

Cheers.

The immobiliser is linked to the alarm, so I would imagine it would cause problems with the alarm as well, wouldn't it?

There's a transponder in the steering column that reads a code off the key, if it's a factory fit (actually dealer fit) system.

That can go wrong. Is it more reliable with a different key?

I only have the one key, so couldn't say. Can that transponder be disabled? as it has a full cat 1 aftermarket system.

If there's an aftermarket system, it's likely that original transponder setup has been removed. Which kinda points back to the ignition switch, from what I've heard.

What age is your VR? 94 or 95 (ice grey production duration)? If it's a 95, it will probably have a transponder in the key.

Mine's a 94 and doesn't have the immob.

One sure fire way of telling is looking at the last two digits on the ECU. AG = non-immobilised. CP = Immobilised.

And yes, I'd suspect the ignition switch as DrMat said. VERY common prob.

K

I thought it was a 93 to be honest, but it must be a 94 L. How easy a job is the ignition switch to do? Is it a mechanic thing or a novice thing?

Its a s**t of a job, I think it took me about an hour, but a lot of sweat!

Henny has managed to do it without removing the shear bolts, I had a go, but didnt have a suitable screwdriver or enough patience to complete. So it was out with the drill and grinder etc etc to remove the bolts. Remember the have the key in the barrel when you finally get the bolts out, I forgot and wondered why the barrel would'nt come off.....doh!

Good luck

Cheers for the tip Andy. In fact thanks for all the replies guys. (I had a look on that RAC car check thing, and my car was manufactured on 31st Dec 1993.)

Cheers for the tip Andy. In fact thanks for all the replies guys. (I had a look on that RAC car check thing, and my car was manufactured on 31st Dec 1993.)

One of the first Ice Grey metallics then as it was only offered from 94 to 95.

Yours may have been made in 93 but probably wasn't registered with the DVLA until 94.