Sign in to follow this  
NormanCoal

VR6 - Ultimate mods?

I've been hanging round this forum for a little while now, just picking up bits and pieces of info as I go along. I dont have a corrado, but my mk2 has most of a Corrado in it so will you allow me in here? :??

The car isnt quite finished yet and I have decided to spend a bit of money in uprating a few items whilst I'm at it

I have a 'shrek' (Kev haywire, you are so to blame for that name sticking in my head! :) )

its 2.9 early Corrado lump, 92, came out of a LHD of Greek origon now converted to a coil pack instead of dizzy

Mileage is about 60k miles, and the chains have already been done - the Corrado doner had a turbo strapped on for a short while and the chains got done when it was taken off

What else is recommended?

engine and box mounts?

cams?

Big Valve head?

Diff - Peloquin/Quaife?

R&P - what difference am I going to see for motorway cruising? I realise what the overall effect is

A 6spd I cant afford :( , so dont mention that please Phatty

Flywheel?

Cheers in advance people, just want to know opinions and thoughts on the above and anything that I may have missed

Cheers

Chris

We're not strict 'Corrado or get out' people, so welcome aboard mate. Anything with a VW badge is good in my book, well, maybe not the Santana and New Beetle.....

Shrek is a cool name :lol:

Engine and box mounts - VT front and Rear, solid rubber on the gearbox.

Cams - Schrick 256 for midrange, 268 for more top end.

Big Valve head - Don't waste your money

Diff - Absolutely. Lower the Final drive ratio, 3.94 would do nicely and fit an LSD. Obviously the engine will be a lot busier at motorway speeds but the VR isn't exaclty a rough old 4 banger (not referring to the G60 or 16V of course!), so it shouldn't intrude too much.

I have yet to sample a Phat style box but from what he says, it sounds like 'the' mod to do!

K

:offtopic1: I know, but..... are you ChrisP, the 'stuntman' from the GVK vids?? Just wondered! Welcome to the forum.

:offtopic1: I know, but..... are you ChrisP, the 'stuntman' from the GVK vids?? Just wondered! Welcome to the forum.

Oh the shame in being infamous 8)

I have to hold my hands up to that, t'was me

The site is down at the moment, but go onto http://www.gvk-motorsport.co.uk/ (Gary Bocking from CGTI forum) and then somewhere in the vids section there is a video of me in my golf loosing the back end going down the Craner Curves at a Donnington trackday a year or two

Basically, a fast part of the circuit, and lost the back end at about 80-90 mph, came close to rolliing it, one side came of the ground a fair way

Shit myself, I didnt have time TBH, but it scared the living daylights afterwards for a long time knowing how lucky I was to get off so lightly

Ah OK, cool.

Small world.... I know Gary Bocking! I thought the GVK sounded familiar as that's the registration on his MK2!! Is it still 2.0 16V on ATS rims or has he done more to it?

I don't go on the CGTI forum anymore.

K

We're not strict 'Corrado or get out' people, so welcome aboard mate. Anything with a VW badge is good in my book, well, maybe not the Santana and New Beetle.....

Shrek is a cool name :lol:

Engine and box mounts - VT front and Rear, solid rubber on the gearbox.

Cams - Schrick 256 for midrange, 268 for more top end.

Big Valve head - Don't waste your money

Diff - Absolutely. Lower the Final drive ratio, 3.94 would do nicely and fit an LSD. Obviously the engine will be a lot busier at motorway speeds but the VR isn't exaclty a rough old 4 banger (not referring to the G60 or 16V of course!), so it shouldn't intrude too much.

I have yet to sample a Phat style box but from what he says, it sounds like 'the' mod to do!

K

You guys seem like a friendly bunch, even Phatty is calmer on here :lol:

with a shrek already in place I think the 268's are likely to fill the head

Why the waste of money on the head? Curious to know as the Vortex users seem to rate this, though I'm not saying they're right

With the 3.94, what sort of rev increase are we talking about at 70 or 80 mph?

What about the flywheel? Lightened standard, alloy, if alloy, what weight?

Did VW change anything with the spec of the VR lump at all in its life? Is there anything that I should think about changing whilst the lump is out and seperate from the box?

Ah OK, cool.

Small world.... I know Gary Bocking! I thought the GVK sounded familiar as that's the registration on his MK2!! Is it still 2.0 16V on ATS rims or has he done more to it?

I don't go on the CGTI forum anymore.

K

I thought you knew of Gary as he has mentioned your name to me before regarding 16v tuning to me before

He still has the 2L, nothing major in the way of mods - now runs G60 steels, and black hockenheims with slicks for the track.

We are off to experience the joys of the nurburgring again this summer, him in his MK2, me in my knew one - fingers crossed that it gets finished

You guys seem like a friendly bunch, even Phatty is calmer on here :lol:

Yeah, we're all pretty chilled and up for a laugh here... although Phatty still has his moments! ;) :lol: :-P

It's 'cos of Phat's recommendations that I messed about with my gearbox as much as I have... the LSD was always in the plan, but changing the gear ratios was an addition that can be laid on Phat and Vince's heads and has so far been well worth it... ;) 8)

hehehe, I can't help being who I am!

And besides, you're all slowly realising that I know what I'm talking about!

Chris, see sig, after 5 years of playing with VR6's that's what I've ended up with. By no means a definitive list, but I've tried all sorts and stuck with what's in there, and boy God does it work. You can have a drive when you come up for the Jetta. (that should speed things up a little!)

Some of us have realised that you know what it what with VR's, but by eck it makes me laugh when people on the forums (not this one) take what you say in the wrong way :lol:

I shall take the above as permission to copy your tech spec then Phatty :mrgreen: Just dont expect me to afford a 6spd, I cant afford one of those :(

I should be able to arrange to come up in the next couple of weeks, will know more towards the end of this week

Those who know me know I'm not as half as bad as I come across on here. Just remember, I post from work, so speed is of the essence, I don't have time to wrtoe an essay, so I just get straight tot he point.

COpy by all means, you know it's proven.

See you soon, will sort out that gear linkage on the jetta shortly too.