blackrado1

16v fuel pump complete Wanted

Yeah something along those lines,

I was originally looking at that swirl pot in your photo, but thought that's going to be £250 to £300 just for the fuel swirl pot, so I opted for a cheaper one at £41 but would still house the Bosch 044 pump.

Si

Yes they are a bit expensive when you factor in today's exchange rate and import duty, I got mine way before this brexit thing got going, when the exchange rate was good with the US, and lowish value declaration from IE took care of most of the import duty, I'v heard that IE for some reason wont send to the UK now.

So are you not using the Bosch non return/one way valve for the 044 then ?

Yeah that's exactly it just works out to expensive.

Yes I believe the 044 pump comes complete with the none return value, I'll have to plumb in a separate one way valve on the return line from injectors just to be safe.

Plus I'll fit a syphon filter to the base i.e the inlet on the 044 pump.

Si

Tank sealing resin can seal inside fuel tanks or swirl pots as a extra precaution especially as mine has been worked on,

basically the transparent / clear sealing resin, will coat all welding seams or any small crevices within tank, well in my case my modified alloy swirl pot.

The tank seal resin I've been looking at can be used on steel (also alloys), aluminum, stainless steel, copper, brass and plastics such as carbon, Fiberglass, Kevlar, polyester or vinyl ester.

The reason why I'm thinking about this is because my new alloy swirl pot, when I first bought it had a special anodizing lining process done to it inside that protects the inner alloy from strong fuels,

which of course over time can eat through plastic or weaken alloy.

So like I say as mine has been cut down and welded again a few times, this special anodizing lining attached to inner surface of swirl pot, has probably been burnt off or scraped away from all the recent work done on it.

This was the advice from the fabricator and a few other people I've spoken to,

so I might get some called:

(Wagner one-component tank sealing resin)

Ebay item number

Si

Edited by vw rule

Right I've had my fabricated alloy swirl pot back, the overall look is good it's very close to how the original plastic one is,

I'd say it's 85% to 90% just like the original,

the only differences are the fuel pump will be the Bosch 044 one, and the fuel fittings will be AN6 with barbed push on ends so the original fuel line layout can be used.

It sits roughly 10mm to 15mm above the rear floor level, but possibly will be a little higher once it's bolted up.

UPDATE: I've since fitted the swirl pot with the rubber buffer mounts, and the anti vibration mounts, as before as stated above it was just a trial fitment, but with the rubber mounts the swirl pot will actually be pretty much level with the rear floor level.

The fuel accumulator fits perfectly just like with the original one, and the fuel filter will be in exactly the same place as standard,

as the original cradle bracket has been used, but slightly modified for new setup.

The only one thing that needs adjusting,

is the bracket for the accumulator needs moving down and back slightly, due to it being too close to the rear axle beam bracket, so at the moment the alloy swirl pot is back with the fabricator being modified one last time then it'll be spot on :cheers:

I should be getting it back on Monday 24th hopefully.

I'll have to pay a few more ££quid for the above modification,

as it's a little extra work (call it teething problems with a new product)

Once I'm happy with the final look and fitment I'll let you know.

Any extra costs at this time I'll be sorting out like I say until I'm happy it's correct.

The final price is £230 net total for the finished fabricated alloy swirl pot.

If anyone wants one doing remember you've got to purchase first an after market alloy swirl pot, it ideally has to be 150mm X 150mm equal square one,

and have 3 AN6 screwed ports and be able to house the Bosch 044 pump.

Cost wise is from £39 to £45

Also regarding the Bosch 044 fuel pump you've got two options.

1) is to use the wiring connectors supplied with new pump,

OR

2) you can carefully remove the old plastic connector adapter, that'll allow you to use the original wiring plug (this is the adapter that's fitted between the power terminals on original VW fuel pump)

Looks like you have to drill very very slightly or use a small file carefully to make the ring connections a tad larger, as they're slightly thicker on the Bosch 044 pump compared to the original one.

Si

Edited by vw rule

I've got my modified swirl pot back now picked it up yesterday, fitment is spot on now the bracket for the accumulator is in the correct place now, as it's well clear of the rear axle beam bracket. The original fuel line set up still works as before, i.e they still line up perfectly, just got to sort out new fuel hose ends as the original old ones are perished.

Plus also I ran into a problem where the retaining clamp would fit over the end of the 044 pump ok, but the pump wouldn't fit into the housing flange in swirl pot, so spent some time yesterday measuring everything as I thought I'd been given the wrong pump, but the fault was with the flange housing in swirl pot, it hadn't been machined evenly in places, this is a manufacturing error by the original company that make the swirl pot, so used a vernier to work out where I needed to carefully file the correct areas, anyway it's all sorted now.

Just remember to check your flange housing if any of you choose to go with this set up.

It's been a long time trying to sort this fuel swirl pot problem out from 2013, due to other commitments but it's almost there now.

Si

Edited by vw rule

The above is a photo of my old plastic fuel swirl pot that has seen better days really.

Thanks to Toby we can upload photos again 👍

Si 

Good luck with this mate , really is worth somone sending a Corrado KR OE swirl pot to Pro Alloy to be reproduced, Below is the MK2 Golf 16V that they sell all ready. I have two spare swirl pots for my KR Golf but this is the route I would have taken. Although they do cost a lot so would've left me grumpy for a few days. 

http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=det&pt=&p=2901&id=proalloy

VW Golf MK2 GTI Fuel Pump Housing

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Good luck with this mate , really is worth somone sending a Corrado KR OE swirl pot to Pro Alloy to be reproduced, Below is the MK2 Golf 16V that they sell all ready. I have two spare swirl pots for my KR Golf but this is the route I would have taken. Although they do cost a lot so would've left me grumpy for a few days. 

http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=det&pt=&p=2901&id=proalloy

VW Golf MK2 GTI Fuel Pump Housing

Hello mate,

yes I managed to get one made by a fabricator I know who made it out of alloy.

Cheers for the link I'll have a look at their website 👍

Si 

Just now, vw rule said:

Hello mate,

yes I managed to get one made by a fabricator I know who made it out of alloy.

Cheers for the link I'll have a look at their website 👍

Si 

Would be great if you could by one off them for under a £100 they cost a lot of money !

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Would be great if you could by one off them for under a £100 they cost a lot of money !

Yeah I know they're not cheap. 

Si 

This is what I got made, this is a photo from late 2018 but the fuel accumulator bracket was too far forward, so has since been moved back as it was too close to rear axle bush bracket.

Si

IMG-20180922-WA0004.jpg

Such a crazy design putting a plastic swirl pot casing under the car next to an exhaust.

Just now, vw rule said:

This is what I got made, this is a photo from late 2018 but the fuel accumulator bracket was too far forward, so has since been moved back as it was too close to rear axle bush bracket.

Si

IMG-20180922-WA0004.jpg

Well done that look mint SI. 

Fuel accumulator bracket like I say has since been moved back in a more central position that fits much better. I'll upload new photos of how it looks now. I was so busy with work last year just didn't have the time to complete it.

Si 

IMG-20180922-WA0005.jpg

I've been meaning to update this but been busy, anyway here are some photos of the bracket that needed moving back a bit for the fuel accumulator, as it was too close to the rear axle beam bush bracket. It now fit's perfect.

Si 

IMG_20200629_202017142.jpg

IMG_20200629_201549924.jpg

Also wasn't happy with the original OEM rubber mountings as they made the swirl pot hang down a little too low for my liking, to be honest it wasn't that bad, but preferred it to sit/hang a bit higher up, so I got a Polly bush and cut off 4 pieces roughly about 10mm thick, just had to shape them correctly to fit how I wanted. Plus used longer bolts with an extra lock nut to be save.

Si 

IMG_20200629_203913670.jpg

IMG_20200629_204003180.jpg

IMG_20200629_202115642.jpg

I might paint the swirl pot black not sure yet. I've painted the cradle bracket but will definitely paint that black as a final coat.

Si 

IMG_20200629_201933868.jpg

IMG_20200629_202043315.jpg

IMG_20200629_201914162.jpg

IMG_20200629_201947781.jpg

IMG_20200629_201544187.jpg

IMG_20200629_201459931.jpg

IMG_20200629_201521460.jpg