timmaaah

Is there a how guide on gearbox removal?

I need to remove my gearbox (vr6) - is there an idiots step by step guide anywhere? I've had a search but couldn't really find anything.

Many thanks and merry Christmas :)

Yeah - been having a read through that cheers :) Was hoping to find a guide that was just for the gearbox side. It'll be a fun job in the new year :/

you dont need a guide but you ideally need a good solid concrete floor and an engine crane, I would highly recommend that you remove the front end and roll out the engine + box complete,

basically jack up the front end with jack stands under the sub frame {near wishbones} and remove the front end , once everything has been disconnected {exhaust, driveshafts,electrics + fuel lines, gear cables} you roll out the engine+box together , its more then possible to do it with just taking the box off but I wouldn't want to struggle like that for whats it worth, up to you though, with removing the front end you can do that easily by your self but you will need another pair of strong hands if removing just the box from the car + it wont be easy getting it back in and lined up

Update:

This is an utter, utter, utter ******* to do with the engine in place. I had a four post lift, tools galore, lifts and jacks but it is still an utter **** to do with the engine in situ.

My advice is this - if you want to do this, then:

A: DON'T

B: If you must, seriously, DON'T

C: If you really, really must, pull the whole lump.

D: If you really, really, really must, pay someone else to do it.

Hateful thing.

VW_OwneR_85 - Spot on (in hindsight)

Update:

This is an utter, utter, utter ******* to do with the engine in place. I had a four post lift, tools galore, lifts and jacks but it is still an utter **** to do with the engine in situ.

Hateful thing.

:lol: I take you enjoyed yourself then??

:lol: I take you enjoyed yourself then??

No. My RA doesn't help, but no - this is a horrible, hateful, sweary job :/

:D

Update:

Hateful thing.

LOL I bet the swear box filled up pretty quick, iv done it the same way on an audi a3 on a ground floor, was horrible! but I didn't have a choice as my shed space was full , never again! don't let it put you off doing future jobs though, with the front end off it really is a breeze especially with a crane you can just roll it in and out at your leisure ;)

Dammit !! i need to do this job but wont be able to roll the engine out because of my gravel drive.

will a support beam work like suggested ? i think you can buy one for £45 then i should be able to sell it for £30ish after, or is it all a nightmare except for pulling the engine ??

god this car was sent to test me !!

Buy a couple of scaffold planks to go on top of the gravel, it makes wheeling car around a doddle. I've even used decking boards, pieces of ply or OSB

yea scaffolding planks on the gravel good idea!, feenix even with a support beam you will have a very hard time as all it will do is keep the engine raised and that's nothing a spare jack cant do from under the engine although it will be better then a jack as you will have more room under the engine but use a crane buddy and roll it all out, what ever it is you need to do once the engine is removed idd recomend you replace the timing chains and guides and crank seal + clutch, then you shouldn't have to do this again any time soon, it not that bad!! ...

I was thinking of supporting the engine from underneath (bricks blocks etc) and using the beam to support the box when i was maneuvering it ?? Sounds stupid but im terrified of taking the front end off and engine out. I can foresee a box of leftover parts at the end and a dead car.

Already got the chains ordered for when i do it cheers pal