Roger Chatfield

Mocal oil cooler fittings question

Evening chaps,

I've got a bit of a problem with a mocal oil cooler.

Basically my Corrado has an after market 13 row cooler fitted and it's got a slight leak, as luck would have it I've got a 19 row cooler sat in the garage gathering dusk.... so simply remove bumper and replace one for the other..

However... slight problem.... they have different fittings...

Old cooler..

IMG_3886_zpsc7ed89bc.jpg

IMG_3888_zps20070602.jpg

New cooler..

IMG_3887_zps573fadc0.jpg

IMG_3889_zpsc168aa4a.jpg

Hose connection..

IMG_3890_zpsa095b03a.jpg

So what are my options??? I'm thinking either an adapter or new hose fittings...

Rog.

Cheers mate, it's push fit, I think the jubilee is just a back up, I just removed the fitting and it was a pig to get off, ended up cutting a slit in the pipe.

So these should do the job then??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-8-AN8-BLACK-JIC-90-Degree-Swivel-PUSH-ON-BARB-Tail-Braided-Hose-Fitting-/370900057928?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item565b5dbf48

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Just had another re measure (measure twice, cut once) and decided it's actually a JIC 10, bit the bullet and ordered the proper mocal fittings from Demon Tweaks.

Hopefully be here soon.

Cheers for all your help

Rog.

Little update.

Fittings arrived today and whilst the threaded end fitted fine it appears the push on end is too big.

Old on left new on right

IMG_3895_zpscf3a2c31.jpg

Bugger bugger bugger....there is no way this is going to fit my existing pipe..... what to do.

So out comes the old measuring stick.

Old fitting is 15.39mm across the barbs.

IMG_3896_zpseb460272.jpg

New fitting is 15.31mm across the shank

IMG_3897_zpsf6abeb56.jpg

Now I know the old fitting fits in the pipe so my theory is if I remove the barbs I may be able to get the new fitting to....er... fit...lol.

A little tickle with Gary the grinder and this is the result.

IMG_3898_zps3bf843e1.jpg

A squirt of dub 40 and plenty on sweat, tears and swearing later.

Taaaaa Daaaaa....

IMG_3899_zpsf9b85e9a.jpg

It fits, it's bloody tight and I don't think it'll come off but I put a jubilee clip on for piece of mind.

And, the finally result.

IMG_3900_zpsc32ca57f.jpg

All tested up to working temp and no leaks so far.

Rog.

Nice I should be thinking of one of these I think , might wait till the cars of the road end of this year so I'm not doing short journeys in the cold winter all the time with cooler oil

I used that kind of union to plumb up my gearbox cooler, and have had repeated leaks. The most dramatic was after forcing a too-small pipe over a too-large fitting as you did - like you I was convinced the jubilee clip would hold it! The pipe is usually two layers of rubber with a fibrous reinforcement layer in the middle, with the optional braid over the top - where the fitting was too tight the inner lamination split internally as I forced it over the fitting and some weeks later ripped right out of the end of the pipe leaving a cone-shaped hole in the loose end that couldn't be reused. All my gearbox fluid fell out on the road, the AA took 4 hours to arrive (Bank Holiday Monday), I had to ring the Environment Agency, missed Elsecar and it took 7 hours to get home, at 56mph on a car transporter :lol:

Do keep an eye on them - if they start to elongate then you'll want to swap all the pipe for something with a larger ID. Crimped connectors would be a bonus too - I still lose the odd drop here and there so I'll be getting some pipes made up professionally when I get around to it.

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

As above, I'd be tempted to take the pipes off completely and take them to a local Pirtek (or similar) shop and get them to make crimp sealed, you know you'll never have any issues then at all :)

I got two fully braided pipes made up at Pirtek for mine after the rubber hose chafed unseen and rubbed a pin prick hole in it, squirting the oil all over the place in the middle of France. No chance now with the braided hose. the rubber ones seemed fairly heavy duty, but i'd not take the chance again, it's hard to route them through without any kind of rubbing.