Sign in to follow this  
menace2society

performance mods

Hello everyone thankgod i found you people :D , i thought the only forum for corrados was the american one, anyway i recently bought a 1990 1.8 16v for 1500 it was in pretty tatty condition, still is but im planning to do it up slowly. the spoiler wasn't working and the common problem with the sunroof. Ive fixed the spoiler (replacement motor, cost me £40.00 to get hold of) but the sunroof need to get some cables. Ill be putting new 17" wheels rial vipers on and and replacing the standard shocks with bilstein shocks, soon. Im also looking to redo the whole interior at a later stage, possibly cream leather recaro's??

Please can anyone advise what sort of modifications cheap or expensive and quick or extensive i could do to improve the perfomance of the car, ideally increase the bhp??? Im not a mechanic and am new to modding and tuning but have alot of enthusiasm for it at the moment, if using abbreviations please could you elaborate as i may not understand some o them, i read a similar post but got confused and didnt understand much of it because of this reason.

Oh yes another thing, are there any corrado gatherings/convention type things taking place somewhere close to london in the near future? id like to check one out big time!!

Thanks alot :D

Hi there and welcome to the forums - glad you found us! :)

A few events do happen down London way, but from what I have seen not necessarily Corrado specific ones. A popular one in London is the Elite 1000 Ace Cafe meet which happens every month or so I believe.

The main events for Corrado owners are GTI International (most definately the big one) and various Corrado club things like Rolling Road Days and the Annual General Meeting. Just keep your eyes peeled around the forum for news on these.

Tuning wise... its not particularly easy to unleash horses from the 16v's without doing expensive work.. I am no mechanic myself but the favourite initial mods on a Corrado seem to be :

* Good quality sports exhaust (Magnex, Milltek, etc)

* Replacement air filter element (K&N, JR, etc)

* A rechip / rolling road run at somewhere like AmD or Stealth Racing.

That should *hopefully* see in an additional 10-15BHP. Beyond that you are getting onto 5th injectors, gas flowed heads, and capacity increases.

Anyway.. I am sure someone a little more technical will post with more information. Have a poke around - we may be relatively new, but quite a few bits and pieces have already been posted & discussed on the subject of tuning :)

Good aren't they? Really cheap- they basically beat everyone on price, and they're also really nice guys to deal with :D

Hi Menace,

This is something i found & did, it gave a considerable difference and caused no problems on the 1.8 engine!

Starting, accelleration and MPG were all improved with no sacrifice.

I had the head skimmed by 1mm, this doesn't sound a lot and is well within tollerances but does increase the compression ratio significantle and used with the affore mentioned mods and Optimax 98.6ron fuel, you will notice a big difference!

hi there,

how much did getting your head skimmed cost?how long were u with out the car for?andwould it be possible to get more skimmed off with out sacrifice or further modding?