Sign in to follow this  
Will

axle mounting brackets!

Just changed the axle bushes on my VR6, bit of a nightmare but got there in the end :?

The problem I've got now is putting the axle back on, made worse by the fact I've had to remove the axle mounting brackets that Bentley says don't remove! (I damaged the proportioning valve bracket trying to get the b**tard off! so didn't really have a choice.)

Bentley suggests getting the toe checked if these come off? There is only a small amount of adjustment but I supposed that could mean the axle goes on scewed....

Anyone know what my best bet is, or how much it would cost to put right if I can't myself?

Also, is it necessary to worry about the angle of the axle when tightening the pivot bolts? Or should it settle itself if I loosen the bolts when the car's grounded and give the car a good rocking...

Thanks for any advice, it'd be most appreciated

Yeah you have to destroy the rear bias valve on VRs to get it off. Nice bit of design!

Why won't the axle go back in? You shouldn't ever need to touch the axle brackets bolted to the floor. Did the bushes go back in OK?

You know where the bushes pokes out the other side once you've hammered/pressed it into it's home? That should be 8mm. Do you think you've not hammered in them in enough perhaps?

Bush bolts are usually torqued up with the car on the ground but I don't think it's critical to be honest.

K

The bushes are protruding 8mm so think they'll be fine. The problem is those axle brackets bolted to the floor unfortunately :? They're both off as I had to replace one cause of damage to the regulator bracket but worried about getting it setup right....

Yeah it does seem like there's minimal adjustment, (only by twisting the bracket on it's bolts.) Just wondered why Bentley seemed to make such a fuss about it. Said something like 'Never remove the axle mounting brackets when removing the axle assembly' and to get the toe checking if you have to for some reason.

Any tiny misplacement there can effect the position of the rear wheels by more than you'd expect I suppose. Given that's the pivot point of a fairly long lever. It wouldn't be the twist, it would be the relative position of the two mounts I'd imagine.