shaft69

building 16v g60 engine quick question

No as I believe they would contact the valves, people use audi s2 pistons to lower the compression.

Using which rods??

The g60 pistons won't contact the valves, i built a few 16v g60 engine years ago using the g60 pistons, off boost it was horrible due to the sleepy C/R.

After that i got a set of 9A pistons and milled 2mm off the piston's crown and added 2 metal headgaskets, great engine with no problems running 1.3Bar boost.

Rod wise i first used the original 144mm rods off the 9A, g60's 136mm versions are a bit short then bought forged h section jobbies but i never had any problems using the o/e parts.

Edited by VEEDUBBED

As far as im aware the g60 pistons don't have any cut outs in them for the valves which is what leads to a clash. Not seen them myself just what id read.

You must of had the G60 pistons machined, they do clatter the valves as they don't have cut outs. That's why no one uses them!

S2 rods are the same as KR if my memory serves me correct, 144mm

Have heard about stacking hesd gaskets on abf think jezza done ot to his. How many gaskets and how you work out compression ratio are correct???

Have heard about stacking hesd gaskets on abf think jezza done ot to his. How many gaskets and how you work out compression ratio are correct???

2 gaskets on an ABF is fine for a turbo and I think gives about 9.5:1 which is high but will be good for the overall engine performance.

Obviously a turbo runs higher boost so no danger of bending the rods etc.

John Mitchell runs S2 rods and pistons IIRC on a G60 bottom end with a decked head to increase the CR a touch.

My motor was an ABF with scat steel rods and 2 gaskets to drop the compression. Never had any issues running it like this, still as far as I know the most powerful dyno proven UK G60. Also had the added bonus of doing 37mpg on a trip to E38 one year. Far better economy than it ever got from an 8v engine!!

I did toy with the idea of building up a new engine, higher compression again and one of the roetel racing chargers. I think 370bhp would have been possible, just couldn't justify the huge expense for an extra 65bhp!

Have finally decided to part with my ABF block and head if anyone is interested as I have a new engine on the way!

On my 16VG60 I used s2 pistons and rods, but now going a different route so the pistons and rods are for sale with new rings pm me if you're interested.

On my 16VG60 I used s2 pistons and rods, but now going a different route so the pistons and rods are for sale with new rings pm me if you're interested.

Pm me what looking for them.