ray_vr6

Re-assembling Rear Shock

I had to replace the spring clip on my Bilstein B4 rear shock and wondered if when you reassemble the unit do do tighten the nut above the top mount until the spring cap is tight against the clip and its clip ie till no 7 up against 9/21

Edited by ray_vr6

your post it pretty confusing. if i understand you right yes that nut needs to be tightened to hold the spring in compression when fitting.

As far as I remember you have the small circlip attached to the stem shaft of the shock absorber,

then have the support washer fitted next which should slide down and stop against the circlip.

Then fit your bump stock complete with splash sleeve,

then fit your spring followed by the top spring cap plate, then fit the 2" long spacer tube followed by the nut,

this nut you bolt up until it's tight and can do up no more, but don't go too mad or you could strip the threads,

the top spring cap plate should compress down as AIDE has said, onto the spring and press against the support washer,

so like I say that nut should be done up until it stops.

Original top nut is a plain nut,

but the new replacement I think is a nylon lock nut.

Then once the rear shock is fitted to the car fit the top rubber bush and washer,

and do the second top nut up to 15Nm (11 ft-Ib)

The bottom shock absorber bolt & nut in the rear axle beam you torque up to around 70Nm (52 ft-Ib)

Hope this helps.

Si

Thanks Guys - sorry the post was a bit of a ramble! The issue was with the fact I fitted Weitec spring lifters to my rear Eibach springs - I didn't like the overly low look at the back of the car the springs gave. This meant that at full extension the spring cap sat a few inches above the support washer/spring clip. I wasn't sure if I should compress the spring to bring it down and into contact.

Thanks again for your help