Tristan Carson

Vr6 : a lot faster cold than warm!

That's normal - it needs to be at about 80 degrees coolant before the standard ECU cycle and 02 kick in. Cold air helps as well.

Ambient air temperature makes a difference as cold air is more dense which requires more fuel for the correct air/fuel ratio resulting in greater combustion, but I wouldn't expect a significant difference between a cold and hot engine. If anything mine runs better when it's warmed up.

I don't give any car i own any stick until the oil is warm, it doesn't do a fat lot cold, water temp may warm up quick but i'd wait until 80 degrees before giving the vr engine any grief. Definatly the cold air combined with a rich mixture when cold that will make it feel quick though.

Yeah - you're sealing an early fate for your engine if you're ragging it from cold. Oil needs to get up to temperature to provide the correct lubrication at higher revs.

That's normal - it needs to be at about 80 degrees coolant before the standard ECU cycle and 02 kick in. Cold air helps as well.

O2 kicks in at 70 deg but yep, that's what a VR6 feels like when it's running a bit rich. i.e how it should be run! As soon as the O2 kicks in, the change is immediate. Less responsive, lumpier idle etc etc.

Presumably you could remap the engine for this - so massively increase the fuelling, and advance the timing - but then would just end up with utterly woeful fuel economy?

MPG doesn't have to be woeful. Remember I was averaging 27mpg in my VRT run by a standalone. During my experimentations the VR6 runs a LOT better when fuelled richer than standard, especially in the idle.