Goldie

Alternator differences VR6

How many different types of alternator are fitted to a VR6? 70A, 90A??

Mine has the part number 021903023N, can i change this for any other, is a particular one recommended?

Has anyone had an alternator refurbished? Im thinking of buying a spare to tidy up but would like it rejuvenated at the same time...

VR were 90a and 120a if a/c was fitted iirc. The windings never really fail, it's just the brushes, springs and sometimes although rarely the regulator that go. The bearings can also be replaced which is worth it, and that's about all a refirb will consist of apart from painting the casing. Works out a lot cheaper than buying even a second hand replacement most of the time, although it's a bit of a faf sometimes. Well worth it if you can find the refirb parts though.

Thay can be refurbished, this is how mine stands at the moment:

20140210_1_zps7b95bb11.jpg

Going to get the case vapor blasted then decide whether to paint it or leave it. The copper on the stator cleans up well with tomato sauce!

Was it easy to split? Are you going to change the bearing and if so where do you get them from?

I may source a spare to refurb and just keep mine as a backup..

I got it split at a place local to me but they tried to do me over when I picked it up so will build it back up myself.

There is a company we use at work who supply bearings so might see if they do one.

I have a couple of old ones suitable for refurbing if you want some cheap. Think I have a 70a and a 120a and might still have the old 90a. Can't remember if they kept it when I bought a new one. Which was best part of £300.

Think its the voltage regulator gone on the 120a

I have a couple of old ones suitable for refurbing if you want some cheap. Think I have a 70a and a 120a and might still have the old 90a. Can't remember if they kept it when I bought a new one. Which was best part of £300.

Think its the voltage regulator gone on the 120a

If you have a 90A one that corresponds to the part number in the thread drop me a line please..

I got it split at a place local to me but they tried to do me over when I picked it up so will build it back up myself.

There is a company we use at work who supply bearings so might see if they do one.

If you get any joy Chris could you grab me a one as well please..