Roger Chatfield

Recommend me a thicker oil

Afternoon chaps,

My Storm has started making strange noises recently, it's a tapping noise under load and is worse over 3k,

I took it to a local enthusiast (has owned 3 VR6 golfs) and he's fairly convinced that it's not the chains and asked what engine work I've done to the car since I've owned it.

The only thing I've done is change the oil, he has suggested that maybe because of the high mileage that the oil is too thin and that I should try a thicker oil.

Can anyone recommend a suitable oil?? I'm currently using the stuff VW recommend which I think is 10w 40.

Rog.

Roger - I moved up from 10w/40 to the Silkolene/Fuchs Pro Race S 10w/50 stuff. It made a noticable improvement to the amount of noise from my engine I have to say (it sounds like ours are getting similarly tired) but was extremely expensive at about £65 for 1x 5 litre and 2x 1 litre bottles. You can buy it from Opie Oils.

Roger - if you email oilman on here with your car specs, mileage & history he will use his expert knowledge to recommend you an oil :)

I have used the Fuchs Pro S brand for the last 50k on my VR, from 90k upwards, thanks to his recommendation & explanation of why you should use an esther based fully synthetic oil over a mineral or semi synthetic (there is a great post on here about it)

I would also recommend checking your oil pressure when the engine is still cold & has only ran for a couple of minutes as this will show if your oil pump is ok, as if it is struggling it wont be circulating the oil properly & could be the cause of your noise

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Thanks for the replies guys, Oilman has recommended a better quality oil than the Synta that i am currently using, failing that he has recommended a 10w 50 oil but has stated that they are quite expensive.

Oil pressure is good, it idles at a bar and raises to 4 bar at 3k.

I think I might bite the bullet and get the 10w 50 stuff.

I'm seeing another 'VR6' man tomorrow to see what he says, he has experience of piston slap so hopefully he can offer some advice, he also have a built up engine in his garage gathering dust that he doesn't want a lot of money for so it's not all bad news.

Rog.

It sounds like you are in the same boat as me Roger to be honest. The engine will probably go on for another 40k but just sound like crap.. A new motor or engine rebuild is your only option longer term.

Stick some corn flour in it...... should thicken it up nicely.

:lol: Do you take anything seriously Chris :rolleyes:

Haha, I did have a sensible answer but goldfinger beat me to it so I couldn't help it :)

I think its because work can be very serious and sensitive that when I come on here I like to lark about.

Serious and Sensitive :camp: sorry couldn't resist I never take my job seriously I don't get paid enough to :lol:

Stick some corn flour in it...... should thicken it up nicely.

Couldn't find any corn flour so I stuck 300 gramms of self raising in it.... result, the noise is all but gone but the cabin sticks of freshly baked bread.....

Rog.

Haha, I did have a sensible answer but goldfinger beat me to it so I couldn't help it :)

I think its because work can be very serious and sensitive that when I come on here I like to lark about.

Ha ha im glad i beat you to your sensible answer Chris - i love your whitty replies :D lol

Roger - glad the info we have given has helped, good work lads!

What was your brief to oilman Rog? There's not much difference in price between this and the Fuchs stuff, and I need to order some in the next couple of weeks. My mileage is closer to yours but I think sounds closer to what Jim has described (just old and tired) if that makes any difference.........

I used to use castrol racing 10/60w I think it was in the Cossie worked a treat don't know if that might be a little to thick for a VR6 though

What was your brief to oilman Rog? There's not much difference in price between this and the Fuchs stuff, and I need to order some in the next couple of weeks. My mileage is closer to yours but I think sounds closer to what Jim has described (just old and tired) if that makes any difference.........

Sean, i sent him an email explaining that I was getting tapping noise and what the mileage was etc, he sent me a replay asking was oil I was currently using and when I last changed it, I replied that I was using Synta 10w 40 from VW and this was his reply.

Hi Rog

That's a pretty basic oil and combined with a bit of wear, it could lead to some engine noise.

I would try out a better 10w-40 and see how that goes.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Redline and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers XSS/Trident are good choices.

If that doesn't help, the next step is a 10w-50, but they are a lot more money than a 10w-40 semi-synthetic.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

The Nanodrive CFS is, on paper, the best oil available, but the Pro S and CFS are both really good oils, so all are good choices for your car.

Regards

Tim

I went for the Millers CFS as it is a bit cheaper and TBH this is an experiment so I want to keep the costs down.

Also, when buying oil from Opie enter CORRADO at checkout and receive 10% discount.

Rog.