Goldie

Spacers - guide to???

Im after some advice about wheel spacers..

Who has used them, any affect on handling, do i need longer bolts, recommended makes, hub centric, how thick are the ones people have used..

Any good info appreciated..

I have a set of 10mm FK's on the back to push the RCs out a bit. To be honest I haven't noticed any difference in handling and the wheels fill the arches nicely now. The hub centric extension was strangely wrong though and worringly broke off when I tightened the wheels bolts! I ended up grinding them back so that they were smooth and the hub extension projects far enough to pick up the wheels - not ideal though.... I'm super careful when putting them on and tighten everything with a torque wrench but it still plays on my mind. When the car's back on the road I think I'll replace them; H&R's are reassuringly expensive....

M.

I'd always recommend H&R's.

Upto 5mm you generally get away with using your standard bolts but double check.

Anything over and you need longer bolts.

Personally I'd avoid running spacers on the front axle but that's just my preference.

Hubcentric spacers have a locating ring on them but generally from 15mm up only. Try going hubcentric where possible. I've only ever run 5mm and 15mm and up and never had any issues.

I am thinking for the rears only..

What width are the H&Rs available in? Im looking at 10-15mm each side.. Where is the best place to source these?

It's better to put a 10mm spacer between the stub axle and beam if you can. Much tidier too.

Make sure you go for hub centric ones with the correct centre bore - 57.1mm

I've just ordered and received some from Demon Tweeks, seem good quality and solid, safe for motorsport use.

You need to get new extended wheel bolts also. Standard size are M12x1.5 and length 23.5mm so add to that whatever width your spacers are.

Remember also with bolts they come with tapered or radius seats. Standard are radius, but it depends on your alloys.

As KipVR said above though stub axle spacers are good for the rear as they don't increase wear on the wheel bearings. Seen them here - http://www.axlespacers.co.uk

Also just a note that I think FWD cars should have a wider front track, RWD wider rear track. For info on handling, there is a good discussion here with Chris Eyre - http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?220808-Wider-track-on-front-or-rear-for-more-oversteer