Hofmiester

Relocating the battery, help with ideas?

Hi Guys,

While I have my dash and interior out, I'm wondering if I should have a go at relocating the battery to the boot as I would like to route the supercharger intake into an airbox to prevent water getting into it.

Looks like I may have sourced a CDA box to butcher, just wondering if it is as simple as buying some bloody massive guage cable and running it to the rear.

Wondering if anyone has done this before on here and if so, ideas on install would be cool.

Thanks

Ron

It is a s simple as that.

My old mk1 had the batt. in the boot in a plastic container with lid and some threaded metal bars, cross piece and nuts holding it all in place.

Another option is what James did with my car and build a fibre glass rear arm rest then cover it with the original fabric so it looks OEM.

The only advantage of BMW cable is it has a battery terminal crimped on! Any old 0 gauge from an ICE supplier will suffice, plus some screw on terminals.

You can put it in the boot or in place of the rear armrest, with some custom cover over it. Done both and the arm rest way is better as no one ever goes in the back anyway, the wire runs are shorter and you keep your boot space.

Just remember you need to:-

A) Vent the gases outside of the car with a thin tube

B) Secure it with a beefy bracket or it will smash through your back if you have a front ender.

That's about it really!

Cool, thanks a lot guys. I actually have a big length of 0 guage that I just took out due to the ICE install (there used to be one but I dont have one)

Can easily put that back. What happens with the earth? reading online it seems that people have tried all kinds of complicated stuff but as far as I can see....it just needs a big strap to the body?

I would say the earth could be done the same as an ice kit, I'd put it under the rear seat belt mount , just trap it under it or use one of those washer electrical connections and put another washer on top , think I sanded the body a bit to make sure I got a good earth , would work well there if you was to put it under the hump

Have a quick look at the end of my thread, there are a few pictures in there for inspiration on wiring if you're that way inclined. No battery tray yet, but the rest is there.

the Porsche 924/944 models have their batteries located in the boot (of a hatchback design) , both of which don't have battery boxes or specific venting,

just saying