Jim Bowen

Idle Problem with VR6, UPDATE: VAGCOM

I would change the senders Jim . Mine was registering 73d on the vagcom from cold , although not totally knackered , it was on it's way out and therefore sending the wrong signal to the ECU , so there was no fast idle from cold . If yours is Broken that's not going to help . You mentioned the coil pack . I don't know if you have ruled it out ? I doubt it would be the problem , if it was lumpy in start up , it would be lumpy all the time as well as when you have your foot on the throttle .

CTS are just temperature variable resistors

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=614&q=vr6+coolant+graph&oq=vr6+coolant+graph&gs_l=img.3...2593.8795.0.9251.17.10.0.7.3.0.225.954.7j2j1.10.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..5.12.948._jiJPoG4h4w#imgrc=-IVvxofDr_K-cM%3A

There probably a graph in the Bentley manual for it.

After being sorn over winter my car idles like a bitch and cuts out, after a few runs out up to temp it idles fine.

It could be the lambda is contaminated from idling, if yours is a hotwire MAF I've read that after turning off the ignition there's a current passed through the hotwire for 15 mins to burn off contaminants.

Is there any chance you can take the car out for a varied drive? Maybe disconnecting the battery prior to this so the ecu can relearn the sensors parameters?

Lambda is something i've never changed since owning the car, so thats at least 9yrs and 100k, same for the Fuel pressure regulator.

I have 3 coilpacks and am sure they are all ok. Got 2 MAFs, think they are the wire type.

I did think it could be fuel pump related as thats never been changed either. I wonder if its not getting up to pressure or something, is that easy to test?

Hoping to get it MOT'd this saturday, although sure it must be a faulty part as i remember spending ages mucking about with this before i stripped the car.

You will need a fuel pressure pump Jim . Probably best to get the garage to do it , it will cost you less than the tester and you probably won't use it again . If the pressure is fine that rules out the pump and points to the FPR .